Options

Bilge pump runs all the time - 2006 Captiva 246

I recently replaced my bilge pump and float switch.   As soon as I hooked the batteries back up, I noticed the pump runs regardless of position of the rocker switch on the dash.  Also it only runs when the Perko switch is in the Both position, but not when it is is Battery 1 or Battery 2 position.  Thinking I had the two gray wires from the float switch backwards and was somehow bypassing the float, I swapped them, to no avail.   Next I thought that the new float was sticking.  Cut the wires and no luck.   I'm thinking the rocker switch may be bad, but I don't want to get into parts changer mentality.  Have had no luck finding a wiring diagram, even on the Archives here, so not sure what all the wires are for that go in and out of the rocker switch.   A mechanic that worked on the boat before me said I had a ground wire come loose or have an incontinuity in it , so he cut the wire and found a ground elsewhere for the bilge pump.   Wondering if he wired anything else funky, the fact that the pump runs constantly explains why I had to replace it.  

Thanks for any advice anyone can provide.

Comments

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a diagram for a dual pump setup, but yours should be close. The pump circuit is designed to run via the float switch or the dash switch. The float is there to turn the pump on when it sees high water and the dash switch is there so you can manually turn it on. The wire colors on this diagram should be close since they are an ABYC standard.

2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Maybe the switch on the dash failed in the on position. Try pulling the ground wire off the switch and see if the pump turns off.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Chris304Chris304 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks Cableguy Greg.   There is a blue wire, a gray-green wire, and two black wires (in addition to the brown and brown-orange).   What are they?   I assume one black is a common.   Is the blue for the indicator lamp?  
  • Options
    Chris304Chris304 Member Posts: 5
    Anyone have a source for a replacement switch?   I search for Rinker parts and I mostly get cosmetic accessories.... or sites selling powertrain parts (i.e. Mercruiser)
  • Options
    Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 932 ✭✭✭✭
    Have you tried flooding it, to see if the float switch will kick it on, when the Perko switch is set to 1 or 2?  That would eliminate concerns of it not functioning properly when needed for intruding water. 
     I don't think you're ever supposed to have that on "both" unless you are in a dead battery cranking situation.  1 or 2 will charge both equally, as long as it's properly wired to an isolator. 
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    cettialpha6cettialpha6 Member Posts: 42 ✭✭
    Chris
    OK , I'll bite on this. Looking at the print this morning, the Aft motor/pump runs directly off the dash rocker switch. You can take a meter and test the switch out of the circuit before replacing.
    If you want to get clever, remove pin 2 from the motor/pump and open and close the float switch manually. The pump/motor should start and stop if your ground is good.
    My guess is the rocker switch is shorted(bad) BUT if this isn't it, you may need a print of the battery switch.
    hope that helps
    Art