Options

rough idle/stumbling

boatman37boatman37 Member Posts: 798 ✭✭✭
Had survey and sea trial Wednesday on a 2006 Crownline with 5.7 Merc with TKS (turnkey start). Not fuel injected. The boat sat for 3 years winterized and shrink wrapped. Took the boat out Wednesday and it ran great for about 15 minutes. I was starting, stopping, reversing, etc. All good. Surveyor had me do figure 8's and hit our wake. All was good until I stopped and brought it back to idle. It was stumbling and stalled. Had trouble getting it going again. It would start back up but stall when I tried to put it in gear. Finally got it going and was running fine at about 2500RPM. Went to my slip and had trouble getting it in with the stalling. We checked stuff on shore power and finished the survey. I went and back the trailer down and the owner drove the boat back to the ramp. They said it stalled as they pulled out of the slip but was fine after that. I was at the ramp and they had to change directions a few times and it sounded ok then.

My thoughts are water separator? Possibly bad fuel? Anything else I should look for? The boat is back on the trailer now and I likely won't be able to do anything to it until it is mine. I don't suspect anything serious as it ran fine before and even after that.

Thanks! 

Comments

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,805 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My first guess was fuel/water filter. Put some Startron fuel additive in also to help if there is water in the fuel.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Thanks Aero. I always added Star Tron in my old boat every time I fueled up. We didn't put anything in this tank for the sea trial. I probably should have taken an extra water separator with me but just didn't think about it.
  • Options
    Also, check and see what the RPM’s are in neutral and in gear. It’s possible the RPM’s are set too low right now.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    wondered about that but it seemed fine when we first started it up. also, max RPM i saw was about 5000 but it hit that for a few seconds then dropped to 4600, which is within range. that tells me everything is in good running condition until the stumble after bouncing in the waves.
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    I would think bad gas and or water 3 years a lot of condensation 
  • Options
    Hoping that is all it is. Just got the sales agreement signed so 'hopefully' we can have the keys by the end of the week
  • Options
    jbschmalz23jbschmalz23 Member Posts: 219 ✭✭✭
    Good luck! You’ll have to post some pics of her when you get it! Hope it’s as simple as some additive and a fuel filter! 
  • Options
    Good luck!!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Thanks. Only found a few boats with layouts we liked. Rinker was one but couldn't find any near us for sale. Closest we found was Catawba Island (3 hours away) at Skipper Buds but they said they wouldn't have time to get it out of the rack for us the day we were there so never actually got to sit on one. The other was the Sea Ray 260, 270, and 280 but we really didn't want twins so the 280 was questionable. Saw a couple of 260's but they were pretty rough. This Crownline was really clean when they put it away 3 years ago. Still needs washed and waxed but in good shape. I will post pics once we get it. I do have the pics from the surveyor but don't want to jinx it...lol
  • Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    I am going to tell you something and don’t get me wrong.
    25 is a nice boat but having twins and wider beam makes a huge difference.
    in few years I bet your will make the jump
  • Options
    zaverin1 said:
    I am going to tell you something and don’t get me wrong.
    25 is a nice boat but having twins and wider beam makes a huge difference.
    in few years I bet your will make the jump

I agree in most cases but in our case, in 3 years with our Sea Ray my wife never slept on the boat and I did only once. We are also on a river and rarely ever go more than about 3 miles from our slip and can't anchor overnight on the busy Ohio river so mostly a day boat. Also, if I moved up in size then I need a bigger truck and would have to buy an older boat that won't have the layout and amenities we want. So hopefully we will be happy with this one for 3-5 years then re-evaulate
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    Makes sense boatman.  I remember growing up in Ohio with mostly lake/river boats.  25' would've been a huge boat for that area (not counting Lake Erie).  It really does depend on where you boat, as well as how you use it.  Sounds like the 25' will work out very well.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    yeah. now if i could only get some cooperation from the lender. geeez. sent them everything they wanted yesterday morning after trying to call them all morning. then they said this wasn't right and that wasn't right. called and emailed several times this morning to see if they got the fax they were waiting on yesterday and still no response. They are on the west coast and the sellers bank is on the east coast. they need the payoff so i told them i need to know ASAP if you got it or not. they opened over 4 hours ago and still no response from them. if they didn't get it then they won't be getting it today as the sellers bank closes in 1/2 hour. actually made a call to a different lender to see about switching but they haven't called back either...lol. ugh....
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    customer service is a thing of the past ....all recorded lines 
  • Options
    jbschmalz23jbschmalz23 Member Posts: 219 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is a place local to Pittsburgh.

2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    hmmmm. Well they did cal me back at the end of the day. They said I 'should' be able to get everything signed over the middle of next week. Let's hope!