Options

Spitting fuel while trailering.

Even when I keep it below 1/2 tank, my 1984 16.5 I/O spits gasoline from the bow vent when I come to a stop at a light.  The one time I trailered her with a full tank, the fuel poured out in surges when I stopped.   She sits a little down at the bow when on the trailer, which is part of the problem, I'm sure.  However, I'm already using a 4" riser on the hitch mount and going higher than that strikes me as unsafe.  Should there be a check valve or catch tank along the line?  Should I be looking at adjusting or modifying the trailer so the boat is cradled differently?
1984 16.5 I/O1
1984 16.5 I/O
1984 16.5 I/O

Comments

• Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not me, but if it we're, but it ain't, but IF it were, I'd seal off the vent and buy a vented gas cap..
  • Options
    PwyddePwydde Member Posts: 4
    Really?!  I hadn't thought of that.  Just like one for a car?

• Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yeah, it ought to work just fine for your purposes, I'm thinking.. or, you could reroute the vent to a better place, too.. I've got to do this to mine, too.. mine likes to 'vent' in the engine compartment... bad design me thinks.. :-)
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2013
    I'd agree that the boat should rest level on the trailer. Adjusting trailer bunks won't be too hard with a 16.5  and it sounds like it should be done. I can't imagine a gas vent design that spritzes/overflows with only half a tank(or even when nearly full). The boat will find itself at much more radical angles when your underway, so what's happening then?.

Isn't a tank vent usually run right alongside the filler hose and vented at the fill fitting. I'd have to see what the situation is and why it'd do such an unacceptable thing.

Drew said   "mine likes to vent in the engine compartment" . WOW!  That has a high potential to get exciting but it sounds like you know that it's a priority. "please extinguish all open flames while aboard this HOT boat" ;)

WHY WE TAKE GAS LEAKS SERIOUS LINK

mine likes to 'vent' in the engine compartment... bad design me thinks - See more at: http://rinkerboats.vanillaforums.com/discussion/926/spitting-fuel-while-trailering#latest
    mine likes to 'vent' in the engine compartment... bad design me thinks - See more at: http://rinkerboats.vanillaforums.com/discussion/926/spitting-fuel-while-trailering#latest
    mine likes to 'vent' in the engine compartment... bad design me thinks - See more at: http://rinkerboats.vanillaforums.com/discussion/926/spitting-fuel-while-trailering#latest::D
    Post edited by TikiHut2 on
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    frodo13056frodo13056 Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    I had the same issue on my very first Rinker - a 1984 V-170 (17 footer with 120 HP I/O). Mine started doing this after I would add fuel - not only would it slosh out the vent when stopping ( when the boat was on the trailer), every time I fueled the boat, the vent would puke quite a bit of fuel as I added fuel to the gas tank. After seeing this time and again, I finally traced the vent line and found that Rinker had created what's known as a loop seal on the vent line. On that year boat, the vent was at the bow of the boat and the use of a loop seal was probably intended to keep water out of the vent line and to keep fumes in the tank. In case you don't know what a loop seal is, it's essentially the same thing you have under your sinks in your house - the goose neck in the drain line that keeps water in the low point and is designed to keep methane from backing up into your house. Once I found the loop seal, I straightened it out and not only did that stop the fuel from spilling out, it also made filling the gas tank go much faster. With the loop seal in the vent line, there was no place for the air displaced when filling the tank to go, so the gas pump auto shutoff would keep kicking in ( due to excessive back pressure). The vent line was under the port seat in the bow and was easy to straighten out.
  • Options
    mvnmvn Member, Moderator Posts: 744 mod
    Excellent advice @Frodo13056

Oh and good to see you again (you were active on RBO,  right?)! 

Mark
    Good,  fast,  cheap.... pick two. 
    2019 MTX20 Extreme

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    frodo happy to see you here. Welcome to the RBOC....
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A loop seal can be good, IF you have the loop going UP, so it cannot trap and liquid.  Of course you cannot have other low points either.  otherwise it will siphon.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI