Options

Tapping into ITC Light wiring

TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2018 in Electrical Discussions
My plan on our 2014 310 EC is to open up the starboard radar arch plate above the blender and tap into the spreader light circuit and add a small task light.

Here's my problem: At the arch plate I can see all the wires going up to the spreader and there are two black (one thin and one thicker) - along with the assorted colored wires. Here's a pic...

Now, when I go and open up the ITC spreader plate and pull down the light, I can see that the blue/yellow wire goes to the light, but there are now three black wires (two small gauge and one bigger gauge).

I'm trying to figure out how it went from one thin/thick at the lower plate to two thin, one thick at the spreader plate.

I know I tap into the yellow/blue, but is it a safe bet to tap into the lower narrower black wire? I'd rather not just start cutting and checking continuity since that's more splicing to do -- so if anyone has gone through the experience it would be immensely helpful.  Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you not open up a plate with an ITC light attached to it and see which black is attached to the light?  Also, while contemplating wiring - what about adding a 12v receptacle to the area so that you could plug a 12v light into it plus and chargers mini stereos etc?
  • Options
    That's the weird part. At the base plate (by the blender) there are two black wires (one small gauge, one large gauge) -- but at the ITC light hole, three blacks wires (two small gauge, and one large gauge) appear. One of the two small gauge does go to the ITC. So one of the two black wires appear to split somewhere going up the arch. I just don't know which. My guess is the smaller gauge, just not 100% unless I tap into them, but want to avoid that if possible. Would rather get it on the first try.

Great suggestion about adding a 12v outlet and/or charger. I'll look into it, but the Admiral was already looking at the books and said I've spent too much money on projects this month already! But it keeps me busy and out of trouble. ;-) 
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK Got it - yeah I can see where that makes it difficult. A 12v is not that expensive Wire $10 receptacle $10 plus your labor. 
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    Why don’t you just run a new dedicated line
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    @GMSLITHO- Actually, that's a good idea. I think what I can do to guarantee it's on the same circuit is just run a pair of new wires down from the ITC instead of tapping in at the low point. I do have some marine grade wire left over from another project on my old boat. Good use for it. Here's hoping fishing it through won't be too difficult.

@MichaelT - The Admiral knows all those small $ add up to big $$$$ after awhile - especially when I'm in "I can do that!" mode :-)