Location of Bilge Water Level Alarm

kordokordo Member Posts: 229 ✭✭
Quick question regarding the location of my bilge water level alarm on a 2011 Rinker 360.  It seems to me that it is way too high to be of any use.  If the water level gets high enough to trigger the alarm, I don't think there will be much time to solve the problem, plus it means the bilge pump is not working or is overwhelmed with the quantity of water.  I plan on moving the alarm to a lower location so that I will hear it before the water level gets too high.  Do you guys think the existing/factory location for the bilge alarm is correct and why?  Thank you.

Comments

• randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sure they put a lot of thought into it. seems to be about 6 inches above the floor. I also understand you do not want to wait, till it's an oh $hit moment. Move it, your boat!
    Boat Name : 

• GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭✭
    looks like you can cut the shelf and move it down or just add a new shelf forward of that 
  • kordokordo Member Posts: 229 ✭✭
    But why, doesn't seem to make sense.  Thanks.

• Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @kordo, what engines do you have in that boat?
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • IanIan Member Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭✭
    It’s a backup alarm for  failed bilge pump. You don’t want it tripping under normal conditions such as when you throttle up and down and any bilge water gets to move around. If water gets to this level and alarms it’s still belo where it becomes critical to the engines and components.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Rinker always put's thing's in the correct place they do it for a reason, as saying before they put thought into it. I did a search on the location but could not find the answer. Here is CG rule.
    https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/46/182.530
    You can move it. If you do not like the location.
    Boat Name : 

Interesting, from your link, "(c) A visual indicator must be provided at the operating station to indicate when any automatic bilge pump is operating."  The location clearly will only provide an audible alarm after the bilge pump has been operating for quite a while.  In any case, I agree that Rinker put it there for a reason, I'm just trying to understand what that reason is.  Thanks.
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,549 mod
    I have the same thing. If you haven't, you should trip the alarm so you know what it sounds like. Surprisingly it's not very loud at all.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kordo said:
    Interesting, from your link, "(c) A visual indicator must be provided at the operating station to indicate when any automatic bilge pump is operating."  The location clearly will only provide an audible alarm after the bilge pump has been operating for quite a while.  In any case, I agree that Rinker put it there for a reason, I'm just trying to understand what that reason is.  Thanks.
    At the helm, when the bilge pump kicks on by itself, the light on the switch turns on. The audible alarm is higher and lets you know if the bilge is filling and you don't notice the visual alert that the bilge pump is working.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,489 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could temporarily mount the unit on the underside of the shelf to see if you get any false alarms.  Oh, except for one minor detail:  to reach the shelf, you'll have to remove one engine.  
    Cableguy, I did not know that the light on the switch turns on if the bilge pump kicks on by itself.  That is some good information and makes a lot of sense.  Thanks.