Metal debris in fuel and fuel filter

New to forum and new Rinker QX21 owner.  Great information on this forum but I couldn't find an existing discussion about metal shavings in the fuel filter.  Bought a 2017 a month ago with 5 hours and did a test ride with dealer with no issues.  After about 3 hours of use on my own, started having power issues.  Took the boat to a certified mercruiser dealer and they eventually diagnosed metal shavings coming from the fuel tank and causing loss of power when they accumulate in the fuel filter.  They are now adding and emptying gas multiple times to remove all the metal shavings.  Anyone else experience this on a new or newer boat?  Does this seem like the appropriate fix?  Would appreciate any guidance!

Comments

• WawaSea89WawaSea89 Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for the response.  Dealer is about 6 hours away but that may be next step.
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1st step, trust the above comment.
    ok thank you both for the advice!
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,489 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To answer your question - I've never heard any reports of metal in the fuel.  Thanks for posting ... let us know how it goes.  And welcome to the forum!
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,549 mod
    Definitely keep us posted. This is not something I've heard of either.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

I was on the forum searching another topic and realized I never closed the loop on my post and responses from last year.  Here is an update in case anyone runs into this unusual problem.  After working with the dealer to ensure everything was covered, the local authorized Mercury Service dealer and continued to fill and drain the fuel tank multiple times until no metal debris was present.  They were confident that the metal debris was all contained within the fuel filter and would not affect the engine longer term.  Their hypothesis was this metal debris was somehow left during the manufacturing process, coupled with the boat sitting idle at the dealer for a year plus.  Once the boat was running, it likely stirred up the metal debris in the gas which then accumulated in the fuel filter.  Regardless, the dealer was very helpful and handled everything under warranty and the boat has been running great now for almost a year. I bought the extended warranty to be safe and for peace of mind.  Thanks for the very helpful forum and all the info available here!
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great news, thanks for the update!
    2008 330EC
    Alswagg, I grew up in the Lake Wawasee area (North Webster) and went to HS there but moved away years ago.
  • Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    @Alswagg and @WawaSea89, Did you ever know any of the Mellingers or Riddles? My Aunt Ruby Fassler was a Mellinger and her sister was Blanche. They had property on Lake Wawasee. Blanche's son is George Riddle who lives in New York City and is an actor. I have many old photos and 8mm film of my uncle Don Fassler with Ruby, and my father, Don's brother, Robert having good times at Lake Wawasee in a classic wooden run-a-bout. My dad would have been gratified to know I owned a Rinker!, but alas, he died before then. 
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alswagg said:
    Sorry I do not recognize the names 
    Al, why dont you know anyone up there? Lol