Options

Waste Tank Woes

WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
Doing some maintenance and inspection this morning I found my waste tank had come loose and was sitting atop the mounts. We got some heavy waves coming back from a trip last weekend. I was able to pry it back into place but as I did I heard a slight "crack"......
Just right above the outlet hose connection a small hole opened up. Not quite a full stream but mire than a dribble. I can see where the position of the hose has been putting upward pressure on the tank. I suspect its been leaking slightly for quite some time as I noticed a bit of staining in that area earlier this year. I intend to change the tank of course but would prefer to wait for fall as the batteries and who knows what else will have to come out. We rarely use it and never for a "big" job. So thinking of a temporary patch.
Ideas? My first thought is rough up the area and try some fibreglass cloth and resin. Other idea I had was to drill out a larger hole where the leak is and install an expansion plug but I worry about the split opening up wider.
As for the tank, I'll do a search but does anybody know off hand the make? Is it a Moeller? Dimensions are 14 wide x 15 high x 34 long. I'd even consider a smaller tank for the bit we use it.
"Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)

Comments

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it’s the same tank as my 242 I believe Great Lakes Skipper has it in stock. If you can’t find it on the site, it’s on eBay also.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    I was going to buy one if I found my tank was cracked when I removed it. 
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    TrashmanTrashman Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
    I had a plastic float tank on one of my Pressurewashing units crack a few years back and I used a soldering iron to “ weld” the crack.  I scraped the surrounding area to collect a little bit of plastic to add to the crack and swirled it around melting it together.  I’m not sure what the differences in plastic are but it did work.  ( the crack was clean, yours may have contamination) good luck. 
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    I'd guess that a larger hole should actually be less likely to split (if the hose is properly attached and supported).  Smaller diameter = higher stress concentration. 

If you do a fiberglass patch, drill a hole (maybe 2-3 mm) at the end of the crack.  That will help stop the crack from propagating.  
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    They make a two part epoxy for plastic I think the fiberglass won’t adhere to the plastic 
  • Options
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll get over there for a closer look. Couldn't see well yesterday as the tank was still "draining". Should be empty now so I can clean and deodorize the bilge. :#
  • Options
    Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    I would get a hole saw, remove the stress and a plug, and find a threaded through hull. Cap that. use quality sealant all around.

Wait, how much is a new tank?
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How do you get to have all this fun?
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    randy56 said:
    How do you get to have all this fun?
    Just my week I guess. 
  • Options
    I would get a hole saw, remove the stress and a plug, and find a threaded through hull. Cap that. use quality sealant all around.

Wait, how much is a new tank?
    Another good idea for a temporary fix.
    It's not the cost, it's going to be changed. But would like to wait until end of season because all my batteries and probably a few other things are going to have to come out to change it.
  • Options
    Of course I would have to have a day off when it's over 100F with the humidity today to work on this. Cleaned things up and found the crack where I suspected it to be. As you can see it looks like its' been seeping for a while.

I had thought that the tank would drain down over the last several days but when I drilled a relief hole at the top of the crack I discovered otherwise. Don't worry. Mostly water. No solids in the tank. Still stinky though.

So work is stopping until I can get a pump out. We get unlimited pump outs at our Marina but only on Thursdays. There's no permanent pump out dock. Once a week they pull a portable unit around all the docks. So Thursday night after work I'll try again. Going to try the product below. Made and sold by Permatex in the US. This is Canadian branding but same kit. Seen good reviews on it. Just need to clog that leak for the rest of the season until a tank change and will do all hoses at the same time.
    Speaking of which....as you can see on the pics, the clamps on the discharge hose are turned in such a way that it is almost impossible to get them off without cutting the hose. Wondered if this is on purpose to discourage people from pulling the line off and dumping the tank?

• Options
    JonnyMJonnyM Member Posts: 302 ✭✭✭
    @skennelly - Billy Mays passed a few years ago.  He was from right down the street from me in McKees Rocks, PA.  Phil Swift is your flex... tape, seal, glue, rowboat guy lol.  All his commercials end up with some kind of boat ride.

@Willhound - I can almost smell the odor of that "liquid" squirting out of your tank.  Its never ever a fun job when you start messing with head plumbing.
    "Mosi on Dahn"  2003 Fiesta Vee 270
  • Options
    I went home and cleaned up. Currently sitting in an air conditioned bar having a cold beer with a buddy. But I swear i can still smell that tank in my nostrils......
  • Options
    I can imagine the smell with this heat! I took mine out over the winter and it was rough!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    JonnyM - Yeah I know he passed...just thought it was funnier to use his name.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    JonnyMJonnyM Member Posts: 302 ✭✭✭
    @skennelly - lol, it was funnier!  @Willhound is going to need a lot of Oxyclean for his project.
    "Mosi on Dahn"  2003 Fiesta Vee 270
  • Options
    Finished my repair yesterday. Seems to be sticking well. Gooped it up real good as the split went right down to the connector. Will be testing it tonight.
    In the meantime, does anybody happen to know who supplied the tanks for 2000 era Rinkers? I'm having a devil of a time finding a matching tank. All of the suppliers like Todd, Moeller, Scepter and pretty much the rest I'm seeing all have the in and out and vent on one end. Mine is top feed in, top vent and end drain and I'd prefer not to have to change out all the hoses.
  • Options
    I tried looking for the eBay link but can’t find it, Great Lakes Skipper had it listed a couple of months ago. I would give them a call and see if they can help you out.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Thanks @aero3113 I'll take a look. But my luck with GLS hasn't been good. I'm in Canada and every item I ever looked at, the shipping was twice the value of the product I was looking at.
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its easy to make new connections any where on the tank
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    Can you buy a tank with no holes and then put the fitting in yourself 
  • Options
    @GMSLITHO, @Handymans342 that would also work, just need to find something that will fit the space. 14" Wide x 15" High x 34" Long. I have a bit of leeway on the length and height, but the width can't be much wider or I'd have to move my batteries. I did find this great looking tank from Dometic that would work. It won't be cheap, I see prices of around $425 USD but it might be worth it. I like the built in vent. Working on finding a Canadian supplier.
    https://www.dometic.com/en/se/products/hygiene-and-sanitation/sanitation/holding-tanks/dometic-dht88l-_-25304
  • Options
    Don't ship to Canada. And those are the Todd's I've been seeing, holes already drilled in the ends only. But Thanks for trying!
  • Options
    Ship to friend over border
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    My neighbor goes back and forth all the time. He lives near you