Marina put on WRONG trim rams and drive hit swim platform!!

habit68habit68 Member Posts: 111 ✭✭
Hi, I just had to new trim rams installed to the tune of $2400. I was raising drive once I got back in my slip and the drive hits swim platform really HARD (2005 Fiesta fee 250 with Volvo DP drive) and takes a silver dollar size chunk out of exhaust. Im going back to marina tomorrow to discuss. I'm trying to find out if anyone know if there is 2 or 3 different lengths of trim ram for the DP or should they have set a limit (spacers or something else)....this is the only reason I can think that it hit platform.
See damage in picture below...

Comments

  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sue them
  • MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ouch. They didn't test the drive travel while it was out of the water????

    Boat Name: King Kong

    "Boat + Water = Fun"

  • habit68habit68 Member Posts: 111 ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    he says he tested it but I think he is trying to save his a$$!

  • skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    Regardless of what they said about testing...it was done wrong.  Are they not taking responsibility?
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • habit68habit68 Member Posts: 111 ✭✭
    I was told there are only two Volvo penta part # 3857470 (the one they put on) and 3857471....does anyone know the difference and if it is longer or has a limiter?

  • jmichelsjmichels Member Posts: 311 ✭✭
    Are there not limit switches on the drive?
  • RustySRustyS Member Posts: 83 ✭✭

    Volvo does not use limit switches/pucks; just the single trim position on starboard side of gimbal ring.

    See Al's comment; requires internal spacer and using the correct ram. My former boat had Volvo drive and I had the rams re-sealed by a local hydraulic shop. They showed me the insides when disassembled. Re-sealing is much cheaper for a pair of these than purchasing new! Think it was around $180.

Sign In or Register to comment.