Options

2004 FV 342 performance issue

mikejudd65mikejudd65 Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
throwing this out there .... 2004 FV 342 , 5.7L Horizons , bravo 3 ... very reputable Merc mechanics have looked at it found nothing, no alarms, no guardian mode .... symptom; with load or without (people) , cannot get above 3000 rpm on both motors, mechanic found bad water pressure sensor, replaced but still have problem,  heres the kicker, seems intermittent , ran last weekend 28'ish knots all the way home, today had the problem, ran tug boat speed all day .... any ideas? anyone?
"Next Adventure" 2004 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342 , FWC Horizon Mercs, Blue Imron Hull

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will the engines get above 3k when not in gear?

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    I'll confirm today but since its sporadic issue I assumed they would and I presume the mechanics would've done that
    "Next Adventure" 2004 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342 , FWC Horizon Mercs, Blue Imron Hull
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like it could be water in your fuel, try putting in new fuel filters.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    new fuel filters put in beginning of season, I'll need to check the inline filters for when they were last replaced 

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Just because the fuel/water separators were new at the beginning of the season does not mean that they don't have water in them now.  But I'd expect the engines to just quit if there was water in the fuel.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    thanks Stodge, true and I agree, the boat is new to us this year. At spring commissioning earlier this year when the fuel/water separators were replaced the old fuel I poured out of the old filters was very very old as indicated by the color of the gas, orangish/brownish in color. I've filled up several times this year but you're right , could be filter change time again. I'll do both again as well as the inline and see how she runs. We have a trip scheduled for the upcoming weekend. 
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I mention that because I had an issue this season where the O ring for one of my fuel caps fell apart and was missing allowing rain water to find it's way into the gas tank.  They ended up removing 2 gallons of water from my starboard tank.  

Just tossing it out there.  Hope you figure it out.  Sounds like something any of us could encounter and would be good to know cause/cure.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    edited September 2018
    UPDATE Sept 1st 2018: 
    all is fixed according to mechanics.
    - seperate issues on each engine.
    - stbd engine started stalling on them on sea trialing/testing. replaced distributor and coil. 
    - port engine: they found y-pipe flapper gone,  they scoped the engine couldnt find pieces of flapper , they concluded its stuck in outdrive somewhere. exhaust blockage. They bypassed exhaust bellows to exit outside of drive. 

--- achieved 36kts at 4200rpm
    --- they advised that due to age of boat,  2004 , 10% hp reduction due to ethanol and orginal 24p props,  next year go to 22p props, will put motors in sweet spot 

more to come after labor day weekend,  we have an overnight trip scheduled

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should be at 47 mph at 5000 rpm
  • Options
    pistolepistole Member Posts: 158 ✭✭
    UPDATE Sept 1st 2018: 
    all is fixed according to mechanics.
    - seperate issues on each engine.
    - stbd engine started stalling on them on sea trialing/testing. replaced distributor and coil. 
    - port engine: they found y-pipe flapper gone,  they scoped the engine couldnt find pieces of flapper , they concluded its stuck in outdrive somewhere. exhaust blockage. They bypassed exhaust bellows to exit outside of drive. 

--- achieved 36kts at 4200rpm
    --- they advised that due to age of boat,  2004 , 10% hp reduction due to ethanol and orginal 24p props,  next year go to 22p props, will put motors in sweet spot 

more to come after labor day weekend,  we have an overnight trip scheduled

36 knots is alot
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    47 mph?  Not in my 342. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Raybo 47 all day long
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    With 22p props wot on my 342 is 40-41 mph at about 5000 rpm. That said I believe guys with 24p have reported higher wot with 24p. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Higher pitch would lower your rpm but give you faster wot 
    dropping a pitch will raise your rpm and sometime keep it drop wot