Rinker 232 Captiva BR Swim Platform

Boltzie42Boltzie42 Member Posts: 9
I purchased an original swim platform from Rinker.  I was assuming there would be at least two support poles from the platform to the bottom of the transom.  None were included and there weren't any lag bolts either in the package.

Rinker is telling me that for the 232 Captiva, no support poles are required for the install, just the nine 3/8" bolts that will be drilled through the back hull.  Can someone please provide a photo of your OEM Rinker Swim Platform for verification.  

I've attached some pictures of the platform and one that I found on the internet but I cannot tell if support poles are installed.

Thanks.

Comments

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now is your chance to upgrade the bolts and backing plates when you install the new platform. 
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My 242 swim platform doesn’t have any support posts.
    2008 330EC
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it was thru bolted rather than lagged. I don't recall any support poles on the 232.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
    Here is an add for a 232 with a swim platform. It doesn't show any support poles.

Go Steelers!!!
    Here is a picture of a 232 from under the swim platform.

Go Steelers!!!
  • Robs_232Robs_232 Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭

@boltzie

You have the same boat as mine, even color. I also put Seadek on swim platform and love it. I have a factory installed swim platform and it has no support poles like you are stating. I don't think it needs support poles if installed like factory swim platform. 

Rob

• Boltzie42Boltzie42 Member Posts: 9
    I used the 9 thru-bolts but changed out the standard size 3/8" washer for 3/8" fender washers.  I also used the 3M 4000 with two thick passes around each bolt hole (thinking gasket) on the back of boat, and one thick pass around the outside of the swim platform.  I did not put the sealant in the hole and did not make a single pass around all 9 holes.  Now I'm wandering if I should've at least ran one horizontal pass across the top (for some tension/adhesion) to minimize some of the load to the thru-bolts.  The engineer in me says the thru-bolts carry all the load and my reasoning was that if any water did get between the platform and boat, it'd be better if it could drain/dry out.  

Thoughts?
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would have filled the holes and installed a better backing plate like some of us have retrofitted with a thicker square plate. You should be ok.
  • 69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 948 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    @Boltzie42 That last picture is my boat. I took that picture on McGee creek lake, in Oklahoma. 
  • MadcowMadcow Member Posts: 58 ✭✭✭
    I have a 2004 232 Captiva and the factory swim platform and there are no poles. Just a couple bolts through the hull.

Boat: 2004 232 Capitva CC

Boat Name: Mixed Nutz

• ruggeroleruggerole Member Posts: 161 ✭✭
    Hi guys, I am wanting to add the factory platform also. Who did you contact to get the quote and order through Rinker?
    Boltzie42 said:
    I purchased an original swim platform from Rinker.  I was assuming there would be at least two support poles from the platform to the bottom of the transom.  None were included and there weren't any lag bolts either in the package.

Rinker is telling me that for the 232 Captiva, no support poles are required for the install, just the nine 3/8" bolts that will be drilled through the back hull.  Can someone please provide a photo of your OEM Rinker Swim Platform for verification.  

I've attached some pictures of the platform and one that I found on the internet but I cannot tell if support poles are installed.

Thanks.

Boltzie42, I am picking up the same platform in a couple of weeks direct from the Rinker factory. What size crate did that come in? I am trying to figure if I need a trailer or just the 6 1/2 foot bed of the truck. Traveling from Detroit to Indiana.
    I am picking up my new platform from Rinker on Friday. YEAH! While there I'm getting a tour. Maybe Kim will take us out for a ride on a new one, or get me a great deal one a 26QX. But probably not.... If all goes well, next year a 26QX
    I would have filled the holes and installed a better backing plate like some of us have retrofitted with a thicker square plate. You should be ok.

@Handyman342 are you referring to a thicker square washer like used with Unistrut? I use these often but are galvanized, not stainless steel. Do you see any issue with this?
    @Boltzie42 did you cut holes into the platform for the stern eyes? I picked up my platform and there are pockets for the stern eyes as yours did. If you cut these clearance holes, what size did you use?
    Looks good @ruggerole
    Go Steelers!!!
    @boltzie42 Did you fill in the gaps around the old ladder area and the starboard fill material? I had my swimplatform digitized yesterday and was told either to fill this 1/8" gap or the mat would need to be cut in a way that you would see this gap. Any ideas what to fill this with?
  • Andy79Andy79 Member Posts: 4
    Hello,

i know this post is a little old but im really looking hard to find the original Rinker 232 Swimplatform for my Boat. Does anybody have one for sale or does anybody know where i can get it from?

Thank you
  • Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 918 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Andy79 said:
    Hello,

i know this post is a little old but im really looking hard to find the original Rinker 232 Swimplatform for my Boat. Does anybody have one for sale or does anybody know where i can get it from?

Thank you
    If I was you, I would go with an aftermarket option.  www.swimplatforms.com can custom make you anything you want.  I am VERY happy with mine.  It is 47" deep! 
    Post edited by Lake_Bum on
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree. It'll be faster, less expensive and you can get the options you want .
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
  • Boltzie42Boltzie42 Member Posts: 9
    Andy79 said:
    Hello,

Thank you
    I called Rinker directly and a lady hooked me up with the factory swim platform for my 2002 Captiva 232 as they still had the mold.  I think it was only about $300 or less than the swimplatforms.com one that was similar.  We love it.  Now I need a non-slip surface for my 2-yr old.
  • Andy79Andy79 Member Posts: 4
    actualy i dont like the aftermarket option from swimplatform.com the original is deeper in the water and just looks better to me.Id like to get exactly what i want if i spend that much money
  • mnorstrommnorstrom Member Posts: 2
    Boltzie42 said:

Thanks.

Hi! Im from Sweden and searching for a original swim platform for Rinker 232 2006, does anyone know where i can fint one? 
  • TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2023
    Great Lakes Skipper has one Rinker platform in stock...

https://www.greatlakesskipper.com/rinker-boat-swim-platform-26-flotilla-72-x-35-1-2-inch-fiberglass

Not sure if that would work, or modified to fit.