Options

Aft LED Step Light

diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
Ever since I upgraded my stereo a few years ago, I am sick of looking at the obsolete stereo remote as you enter the boat from the swim platform. Carved out some StarBoard to fit a Lumitec LED... Removed the vent and vent cover to access the nuts that held the old remote on.... Installed my new LED step light with 1/4 lock nuts/washers and snakes the wires over to the cockpit light(next to cooler).... Can’t wait to get down there at night to see how it lights up!

Comments

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,805 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great way to get rid of the old remote!!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    boatman37boatman37 Member Posts: 798 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    Another innovative and well-executed mod from @diggin2day1.  I am so glad you've decided to use your powers for good instead of evil! 
  • Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    LaRea said:
    Another innovative and well-executed mod from @diggin2day1.  I am so glad you've decided to use your powers for good instead of evil! 

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another D2D1 amazement!
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Hmmmm, I still have one of those remotes which has been retired.  Can you make another one?

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Stodge said:
    Hmmmm, I still have one of those remotes which has been retired.  Can you make another one?
    Yes I can. 
  • Options
    gackgack Member Posts: 315 ✭✭✭
    I did the same on my 270.  Great functional way to cover the remote hole.
  • Options
    Stodge said:
    Yes I can. 
    My retired remote is above one of the factory cockpit lights, so I don't need another light.  Need to think about what to put in it, or maybe just have a blank.  

• Options
    Stodge said:
    Stodge said:
    Yes I can. 
    My retired remote is above one of the factory cockpit lights, so I don't need another light.  Need to think about what to put in it, or maybe just have a blank.  
        I made a blank that fits the same spot as well... I originally made it to cover the hole in the dashboard where the old remote was, but it will fit just as well in the aft location. 
        Just thinking to myself... a great idea would be to make one to hold a “contura style” switch to control the radar arch lights. I always leave my boat with the mooring cover on and at night it’s difficult to see... would be able to install right up to the last snap, then turn off the lights and go home. 
  • Options
    Stodge said:
    Stodge said:
    Yes I can. 
        I made a blank that fits the same spot as well... I originally made it to cover the hole in the dashboard where the old remote was, but it will fit just as well in the aft location. 
        Just thinking to myself... a great idea would be to make one to hold a “contura style” switch to control the radar arch lights. I always leave my boat with the mooring cover on and at night it’s difficult to see... would be able to install right up to the last snap, then turn off the lights and go home. 
    I'll have to think about what would be handy there.  Mean time I'll file this away under "stuff to get some day".  :)

• Options
    04FV270riverrat04FV270riverrat Member Posts: 268 ✭✭✭
    that bad boy is bright! should light up good on the back 
  • Options
    Finally got down to the boat at night to take some pictures of the Aft Step Light... lights up the step and surrounding area perfectly(Lumitec makes some amazing LEDs). I made some more if anyone is interested and also made some blank/logo plates to replace the old remotes as well. Blanks/logos are $20 and the plate w/LED is $40.
  • Options
    Another home run D2D1!
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does the job for sure!
  • Options
    .... and it gets rid of this useless eyesore:
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are claiming all this extra revenue, correct?  ;)
  • Options
    You are claiming all this extra revenue, correct?  ;)
    Yes sir... 612MarineWorks LLC 
  • Options
    ....Steve did you claim all your HVAC overtime (cash payments) etc LOL .....yeah sure!
  • Options
    downunderdownunder Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
    Keith
    looks good
    i will buy one for my 340fv
    can you incorporate the switch idea as well and get me a price.
    understand your comments
    "Just thinking to myself... a great idea would be to make one to hold a “contura style” switch to control the radar arch lights. I always leave my boat with the mooring cover on and at night it’s difficult to see... would be able to install right up to the last snap, then turn off the lights and go home. "

got my arch lights installed - look and work great
    My arch lights are wired to the spreader switch on dash
    can i switch this new light off separately just before i leave the boat etc

i am planning on being in vegas end of month, could you do it by the so i can take it home. 
    thanks john

"festina lente" - 2001  340 FV
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Hi John, I can make it to fit a contura switch... the only issue is that you will have to cut out the fiberglass as the switch will extend beyond the StarBoard plate. I made these so that no modification to the boat would be necessary, but can certainly make what you’re asking.... and to be honest, it’s a great idea. My arch lights are controlled by a switch on the dashboard as well, when leaving my boat I install the mooring cover... and it’s difficult to do in the dark. Having a switch at the aft door would be a huge help. 
    Post edited by diggin2day1 on
  • Options
    @downunder - what do you think? Could use one switch for the radar arch lights and the other for the cockpit/Aft led. I am sure we can get white actuator covers for the switches too. The bolt holes will still line up with the factory remote control holes. I will design one with a single switch(horizontally) as well. 
  • Options
    Here’s a quick rendering of a single switch version: