Options

Boat Anxiety !!! Whats gonna break next

pistolepistole Member Posts: 158 ✭✭
have been having a lot of this lately. Makes for grey hair. Stb 5.7 coughs and dies yesterday. Starts it back up and everything is fine ..... even so , anxiety .....

Comments

• Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel you pain, however there's a tough crowd here, you may get a (get over it, its'a boat) 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every time I take it out I hear a new noise (or I think so) but its running greats  Admiral says it's always sounded that way. 
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    Yeah, unless your boat is a Fleming, breakdowns are part of boating.  The more you use the boat, the better you'll know her strengths and weaknesses, which helps cut the anxiety.  Practice, practice, practice.
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I understand, after we blew our coupler last summer on a trip and then spent the fall boating listening to the gimbal bearing tick so I am super sensitive to sounds and was overwhelmed with anxiety about it when we launched this spring. Had to settle down and say it’s a boat and if there is a problem we will fix it. Has ran great all summer and my admiral says the same as above , she can’t hear the little things I do or she says it’s always been that way. Our friends boats make all kinds of noises and they don’t care, problem is me
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod
    LaRea said:
    Yeah, unless your boat is a Fleming, breakdowns are part of boating.  The more you use the boat, the better you'll know her strengths and weaknesses, which helps cut the anxiety.  Practice, practice, practice.

oh man, I think you said that just for me!!! :)  That 55 is really calling my name!

@Liberty, I hear you exactly.  I'm always listening for those sounds!  I have to say, this past 10day trip on or boat was probably the most relaxing for me!  The entire trip was ~100 miles, so only one tank of fuel and not too far from home.  Some anchoring, but stayed in 2 different resorts.  I was finally relaxed and not worrying! :)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    JonnyMJonnyM Member Posts: 302 ✭✭✭
    We have 5 boats within my closest group of friends at my marina and we are down to 1 out of 5 boats properly working right now.  Glad it is my Rinker that works.  #nojinx
    "Mosi on Dahn"  2003 Fiesta Vee 270
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭✭
    I have taken mine out for 2 days straight without something breaking.  For me that is new. First time since i have owned the boat that i haven't had to pull out my tool bag.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    Every time I take it out I hear a new noise (or I think so) but its running greats  Admiral says it's always sounded that way. 
    The other way around here, there’s always a noise or shudder or gauge reading different that I don’t hear, feel or get concerned about. 

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lucky man
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    Well, I just finished a 10-day cruise covering almost 400 miles, and not one single thing broke.  Why?  Before leaving, I spent two weeks meticulously going over the entire boat, doing preventative maintenance and throwing money at any part that looked questionable.  

I'm not saying that approach works 100% of the time, but it sure helps.  
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Pretty sure Murphy said that stuff breaks when it's the least expected and least convenient.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Yes Murphy has his own set of rules that why I always bring just'n case with me. He's a little dude but comes in handy.
  • Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    Look at it this way, if the Titanic had had broken down on the morning of April 14th 1912 it would have been afloat on April 15th.

Andy.
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's one heck of a statement....
  • Options
    Man u guys so freaking  smart.
  • Options
    pistolepistole Member Posts: 158 ✭✭
    that and its kinda of a love/hate relationship. Sometimes , you love her when she'd doing great (you go and wash her even if she's clean). sometimes you hate her so much you don't go to the marina for two weeks.
  • Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    The iceberg wasn't having a great day...dead in the water, drifting and no radio.

Andy.