Options

2002 Rinker 342 breaker panel

dashelf1dashelf1 Member Posts: 1
I just bought this boat and trying to learn the proper way to turn breakers on and off when going from shore power to house power and the opposite way. ive been looking for any type of directions or anything and can not find such a thing.  when I turn house power on neither one of my refrigerators or ice maker works, but will work fine when hooked to shore power

Comments

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    When you say "house power" do you mean no shore power and no generator?

Many of the devices on the boat run on 110 volt AC and need shore power or the generator to operate.  The left side of the breaker panel is for 110 volt AC so unless you have the generator ruining or shore power plugged in that side will be dead.

Both fridges should be 12 volt or dual power (12v and 110v) and should always be able to run.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you in the US?
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some of the early 342’s had the cockpit frig DC only. The AC breaker does nothing unless you swap the frig for dual voltage. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,554 mod
    Maybe the image below will help.  Check that all of the switches on the DC side (9) are turned on.

Just in case you aren't familiar with the terms AC and DC ... AC doesn't mean air conditioner.  The boat has two kinds of power.  DC power comes from the house batteries.  AC power comes from the shore power or the generator.  For example, the ice maker requires AC power, and it won't run on DC power from the house batteries.  Some boats have dual-power fridges that can run on either DC or AC.  

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,554 mod
    Oh, and welcome to the forum!
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum when I do plug in I make sure the breaker on the pole  is off and the breaker in the boat is off. Plug in flip on the one on the pole(dock) then go in the boat and flip that on to get a green light. Leave the main 12 volt breaker on all the time(top right corner in the pic above box9)
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    Welcome to the forum!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Autodog61Autodog61 Member Posts: 92 ✭✭
    Reviving this thread to answer a question - I am not getting 120V on the meter (1) when I have the genset on.  I had it worked on today to replace the impeller.  I understand there is a fuse and breaker on the Genset itself that the mechanic may have forgotten to turn back on (if he turned it to off to work on or miss hit it).  Is the procedure for the genset to 1) check the genset controller panel for breaker to be on as well as the grey breaker on the transom for the genset to be in the "on" position.  Then turn the genset on (number 7 above), then move 3 to generator and 2 to main? Shouldn't this bring 120V from the genset?  (Which I dont have at this point) The only part I didn't check yet is on the genset panel to see if there is a breaker there turned off or whether there is 3 settings (vs 2) on the round gray breaker on the transom in the engine bay.  I figure this breaker should either be an on or off to utilize house batteries to start the genset.  Its likely there is a breaker in the off position on the Genset panel its self.  Will check tomorrow.  Just looking for confirmation I have all the points covered. 
    Holy Smokes, don't forget the bilge plug!
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes there is a breaker on the generator 
  • Options
    Autodog61Autodog61 Member Posts: 92 ✭✭

Thanks Handy!

Holy Smokes, don't forget the bilge plug!
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes as Handy said there is a main breaker on the genset near the start/stop button. Also there should be a on/off battery switch for the generator in the engine room so make sure that is on. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The volt meter on the breaker panel has a toggle (#2 in the pic). If you have it on the A/C side it will not read power unless you have the main A/C breaker on too. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI