Options

Another good day...

TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭✭
We had relatives and friends in town recently and took 11 people on our 2014 310 EC through the locks for a Chicago river cruise. We did not at all feel cramped! I was surprised at the amount of space we had. The main reason we got the 310 was the awesome layout. In our old boat, four people would be tripping over each other. Loved it! Here are a few shots - the last one is the entrance to our harbor.

BTW - That second to last pic with the "Voyageur" tour barge -- he started passing on my port side, forcing me over to a kayaker, and another docked tour boat on my starboard. Had about three feet clearance on either side, almost squishing the poor kayaker (at least he understood it wasn't my fault and he ducked into a spot by the dock until we passed). And this was a slow tourist week day on the river. I won't even go on weekends anymore.

Comments

• Options
    Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
     We love visiting Chicago. Go in several times a year. If you haven't before, check out the SOFA (Sculptural Objects & Functional Art) show on Navy Pier, 1st weekend each November. I'm always amazed at the art work, especially glass art. Oh, by the way, who does the ginormous mega yacht belong to?
  • Options
    pistolepistole Member Posts: 158 ✭✭
  • Options
    boatman37boatman37 Member Posts: 798 ✭✭✭
    love that water. Wish the Ohio river was that clear
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭✭
    @Glassguy54 - There are a handful of mega-yachts in our harbor that summer in Chicago.  That particular one is "Blue Moon" - about 200 foot and ~$75 million dollars. Owned by the Duchossois family. I think there have been a few iterations of Blue Moon. The "Owner's Suite" is almost as large as my townhome!

Here's a link to one version they owned: https://www.superyachtfan.com/motor_yacht_blue_moon.html

When we were going out in the morning, they were launching the two "tenders" -- both are in the 25-30 foot range -- on the third level and launched with an automated davit system. They have wood look fiberglass hulls. Sweet looking. The crew launches them about once a week or so and tool around the harbor, probably just to keep them in shape.

@boatman37 -- Yes, Lake Michigan waters near Chicago have been getting extremely clear over the last decade or so - all due to the Zebra Mussel, which is unfortunately devastating other natural species. Can't wait for the Asian Carp to get here so they can jump aboard as we cruise the river  :#
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    Beautiful pictures! Let some of the clear water drain to the Chesapeake....oh wait, that's impossible.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭
    do kim and kanye come with the 300 large

@tonyg13=you have a great boat and a great area to enjoy
       what a view