Fuel/Water separator with a clear sight glass

This one is in the got to thinking department.  Was talking with fellow boater in our Ports and Harbors group at work.  He was having significant fuel/water issues (turns out from Ethanol compromised fuel lines).  Tech suggested he add a different fuel water separator like this one.  Got me thinking, If I ever were to get water in fuel, you might be able to see it using a replacement filter like this one with the clear site glass.  This is a completely different kind of boat than our 6.2L MX MPIs but I assume they make a similar for our engines.  Anyone have something like this installed? 

Other things this might help with - Fuel drain to support removing water without taking off the filter completely?  Trouble shoot no fuel/plugged line conditions. 

Smart or not smart upgrade?

 

Holy Smokes, don't forget the bilge plug!

Best Answer

Answers

  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You may want to try the water separators that us diesel guys use made by Racor.
  • Autodog61Autodog61 Member Posts: 92 ✭✭
    Photo?
    Holy Smokes, don't forget the bilge plug!
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pic above is for gas with water drain. 
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should hardly ever see water in there unless you get bad gas. 
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have seen them. I believe they will fit where the normal spin on goes. Not for me I have the cool fuel gen lll. 
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 8,074 mod
    You should hardly ever see water in there unless you get bad gas. 
    Wait, I know how this works.  If the only thing you drink is water and good Scotch, you'll never get a hangover ... unless you get some bad water.
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are just posting to try and catch me. lOL
  • LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 8,074 mod
    Pfft.  Not possible.  But I've wondered if there's a fuel filter out there for us similar to what a Fleming would have.  (Obvious @Dream_Inn baiting)
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,949 mod
    LaRea said:
    Pfft.  Not possible.  But I've wondered if there's a fuel filter out there for us similar to what a Fleming would have.  (Obvious @Dream_Inn baiting)

    I was eyeing a couple up this past weekend.  There was a nice new 67' they were outfitting for someone soon to be very happy.  It sure made the 55' next to it look small....& yes, they do have nice filters in that very nice engine room.

    Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

  • reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Dream_Inn you always said the lenth of the boat should match your age. 67 is a little early but you will grow in to it.lol
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 8,074 mod
    The age you act?  I'd have to get a Boston Whaler.  
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,949 mod
    edited September 2018
    @Dream_Inn you always said the lenth of the boat should match your age. 67 is a little early but you will grow in to it.lol

    Man, you had to remember that one! :)  It's funny, I was just chatting over the weekend about this and said that I'm approaching fifty (2 years yet), and that 55 is looking really nice!  Kind of funny, I bought a 24' in my 20's (when I was 29, but that still counts), a 31' in my 30's, and a 40 in my 40's.  It only seems right! :)

    & LaRea, give yourself a little credit!  I think a nice small bowrider for you is perfect! :)

    Sorry, this became really off topic.  I do think the clear separators are very nice.  Not sure if it is worth having, unless you are constantly having problems.  Most diesels have good ones because good fuel is an absolutely must.

    Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

  • GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭
    i think with the diesel its not so much the water ,its more of a problem with mold and algae ,isn't that the case ? 
  • Autodog61Autodog61 Member Posts: 92 ✭✭
    Thanks guys.  Got what I needed.  I don't have water issues .........yet.  Engines have 218 hours each.  But, what about 2,4,.6 years from now?  All Good.  Got responses from all the guys I trust from having read 100's of your other responses.  Thanks!   
    Holy Smokes, don't forget the bilge plug!
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can tell you that I treat my fuel with a biocide. I also have clear bowl separators and have no water or algea
Sign In or Register to comment.