Options

INTERMITTENT CHARGING

jhofmannjhofmann Member Posts: 430 ✭✭✭
2000 FV242, 5.7 Mercruiser. Last time out I watched my voltage keep dropping. When Battery #2 hit 10 volts, I switched to battery #1 and made it back. When I got home, I plugged in the onboard charger and brought both batteries back to full charge. Srarted the engine and multi-meter said altenator putting out 14.5 volts, and reading 12.5 volts at both batteries, 12.7 with motor stopped. I removed the battery isolator and did a diode test between the input and both outputs, and it passed. Put the isolator back in, and now reading 13.5 - 13.7 volts at both batteries. Is it possible for the isolator to stop working and then start working? I would love to believe it was just a bad connection, but I'm usually not that lucky!

Comments

• Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You may be that lucky, bad connections on battrie's , isolator, It is a 18 year old.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a loose connection in my charging system 2 years ago. I replaced batteries and the isolator. Still the same issue. I dig deeper into it and the connection on the back of the battery breaker wasn’t tight. I changed the breaker and made sure the connections were tight and haven’t had an issue since. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Could have had some corrosion on the isolator contacts.  

I should check all my connections next time I have time to get into the bilge.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX