Options

remote oil filter hose leak and "burping" oil

So we went on a 4 day fishing trip to the west coast of Vancouver Island last weekend, which involves an hour and a half cruise and then fishing and relaxing at our favorite fishing marina. Had the boat out of the water before the trip and gave everything a good once over... added a liter of oil (checked on dry land) and once we got to the marina that eve I did a quick check of the fluids and immediately noticed we had a decent sized oil leak, hard to tell how much as the water in the bilge did a nice job of spreading it around. Cleaned everything up and couldn't find an obvious gusher so we monitored the situation and found no further leaking over the remaining 3 days. Oil level measured in the water was just over the full mark after the gusher.

We got back home and I narrowed the leak to the remote oil filter hose, but the more I check and monitor, the less the leak has become. So I'm wondering if I overfilled the oil by a half liter, can the added pressure "burp" up this oil through a small leak and now that the oil level is normal it isn't as much of an issue?

we went out fishing last night for 4 hours, 20 min cruise and then 3 hour idle while we troll, and my oil pad had about a 2" oil spot meaning it was barely leaking at all.  

Any thoughts or experience on these hoses leaking on again, off again.
2001 Rinker 242

Comments

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Just had a friend with an Amberjack lose one of those hoses on the way back to the U.S. from Canada.  8 miles into a 77 mile trip it let go.  Luckily they were able to limp back to a U.S. port and get home from there. 

Guess I should inspect mine this winter.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    No experience leaking on and off but I believe one of my remote hoses are leaking as well.  It hasn't been a huge deal but I keep telling myself it needs to be fixed.  Probably this off season I will.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    prgrod01prgrod01 Member Posts: 53 ✭✭
    Update - changed the hoses this spring and leak is gone.
    2001 Rinker 242
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    by remote oil filter you mean because it is located on the top where you can get to it , it is remote and these are the lines that go down to the motor?
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Yes Ras. The lines lead up from the traditional oil filter housing on the engine block, in most cases, to a housing that holds the filter "upside down" - I assume so that it can drain down to make removal less messy. That said, I always had a bag under them to catch oil that was retained in the oil filter. Most of the remote oil filter housings are located on the upper right hand side on Mercruiser engines.