Options

Going to glass cockpit Rinker 342 with Volvo engines

SimcoeRinker400SimcoeRinker400 Member Posts: 319 ✭✭✭
Hi Guys
New to the Rinker boat group just got a Rinker 342 in August.  Just wondering if anyone has tried this product out yet Engine Gateway YDEG-04.  My gauges are like everyone elses I read on here and are acting up so I was thinking of going this route with Raymarine Axion or ES or GS series stuff so it works with my GPS and Radar.

http://www.yachtd.com/products/engine_gateway.html

2008 Rinker 400 EC 
2015 Scarab 165G
Laser Sailboat
2002 Seadoo Explorer
2023 Seadoo Spark Trixx x 2

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    Welcome!  I haven't tried that product, but I have one of their temperature sensors.  I had a "good OOBE."  (OOBE = out-of-box experience, plug it in and it works.)

You will definitely find interested readers here!
  • Options
    ImOnaBoatImOnaBoat Member Posts: 4
    Sim,
    You caught my interest also...
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has anyone looked into the Volvo app that is their version of VesselView Mobile?
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Dan_342Dan_342 Member Posts: 3
    Re: volvo easy connect, I'd love to know if that is a better option than getting a more generic nmea 2000 wifi gateway like this one: www.yachtd.com/products/wifi_gateway.html

Simcoe would be great to hear if you went forward with this and how it turned out. I am looking at doing something similar for engine monitoring, though I will probably go cheap on displays for now and just have a tablet or similar on a stand 
  • Options
    Hi Guys I am still dealing with these tach gauges has anyone tried the NMEA2000 stuff?  
    2008 Rinker 400 EC 
    2015 Scarab 165G
    Laser Sailboat
    2002 Seadoo Explorer
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    I had a Fox Marine gateway on my Volvo and it worked great. 

https://fox-marine.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=81

it was perfect for me as it has a dedicated app as well as N2K data. I didn’t have a chartplotter and was using iPad (Navionics) and iPhone (engine data). Worked well and minimal capital outlay. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    I had this all figured out with yacht devices and an axiom 9 but then never went through with it since it was the first summer I had the boat and was overwhelmed with everything. The most important thing I wanted was fuel flow so I could get nmpg to set cruise speeds. 

I know now YD has there wifi unit that can go to a tablet and give you everything which would be simple enough. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Have you gotten anywhere further with this process?
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    Yacht Devices is based in Russia. Not sure if that is an issue. Personally, I am leaning towards the Fox Marine product. Andy
  • Options
    rmfridayrmfriday Member Posts: 103 ✭✭
    I think i have a tread abut this somewhere but i did it last summer.
    Well worth the effort. I ordered from yacht devices but the devices didn't arrive so i ended up ordering from Fox and got the modules in like three days. I then installed a Garmin 942 in place of my 2 tacks and speedo. turned out well, if you go the Fox route make sure you get the oil pressure sensor added to your order.
    The yacht Devices modules did end up arriving about three months after they where ordered.
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭
    @SimcoeRinker342 I went the N2k route last year. Got rid of all of my gauges and just have two Garmin displays.  One for chart and one for gauges.  I used the Mercruiser products to connect the engines to the N2K network and then Garmin products for the trim and tank sensors.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    LOL... I upgrade my boat to a 2008 Rinker 400 with Smart Craft engines upgraded all its old Raymarine to a new AXIOM 12-inch screen..and Smart Craft is way easier as you buy the Gateway P Multi-Engine adapter.  Plug it in behind my gauges and away I you go with all N2k network stuff.  So much easier than what I had to do with the 2005 342 with Volvo's.  
    2008 Rinker 400 EC 
    2015 Scarab 165G
    Laser Sailboat
    2002 Seadoo Explorer
  • Options
    Got all the new Axiom + stuff installed this week looks much better than the old system
    2008 Rinker 400 EC 
    2015 Scarab 165G
    Laser Sailboat
    2002 Seadoo Explorer
  • Options
    Looks clean. Still working on my mount for my Garmin, waiting for the plastic sheets I ordered. 

Is that the steering wheel the boat came with?
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    The wheel is the same one I have on my '07 370.
  • Options
    I noticed it does apparently come on some older boats. Looking to replace mine. Probably a GLS part
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aqua_Aura said:
    I noticed it does apparently come on some older boats. Looking to replace mine. Probably a GLS part
    I replaced mine beginning of last season. Get ready to pay some $$ 🤑.

https://www.hardin-marine.com/p-14399-13-34-isotta-carlotta-steering-wheel.aspx

2008 330EC
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s probably the nicest steering wheel I’ve ever used. My neighbor liked it so much he bought it for his Sea Ray.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hardin Marine has nice stuff. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    aero3113 said:
    It’s probably the nicest steering wheel I’ve ever used. My neighbor liked it so much he bought it for his Sea Ray.
    Agreed. Expensive but worth it. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    Looks good but yes very expensive for a steering wheel. I'm sure the quality is good though. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    RiverRat232RiverRat232 Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    aero3113 said:
    Aqua_Aura said:
    I replaced mine beginning of last season. Get ready to pay some $$ 🤑.

https://www.hardin-marine.com/p-14399-13-34-isotta-carlotta-steering-wheel.aspx

Kind of pricey but it's shaves years off off the appearance of the helm. I think I would choose the exact same wheel.

• Options
    Man, they have a pretty nice selection of Wheels.  
    2008 Rinker 400 EC 
    2015 Scarab 165G
    Laser Sailboat
    2002 Seadoo Explorer