Options

Drive Slip

WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
I've recently had an issue crop up that has me a bit perplexed. About the last 4 or 5 runs, when coming up on plane I could sense (and hear) that I had slip in the drive line. But only the first time I come on plane for the day.
I should start by saying that I have now put about 160 hours on the boat and the issue has only been the last 20 of those. From the start I've always run with full fuel and water tanks and usually 2, sometimes 3 on board. I don't believe it to be prop slip or I would have had the issue from the start, I would think. The first time it occurred it felt like I had weeds wrapped around the prop, and when I stopped, briefly reversed, and then moved forward again I think I did see a mass of weeds float up. But the weird thing is, it only happens at the beginning of a run when leaving the harbour. Once on plane and running a bit I can stop, hammer the throttle and jump on plane with no slip whatsoever. My first thought was prop hub slipping caused by the first weed issue. But wouldn't that happen all the time? I also wondered about the cone clutch, maybe only happening until things warm up? But I would think that would get worse as things heat up?
Drive oil is good, no milk in tank and no drop in level. Anything else I need to consider?
"Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)

Comments

• Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never had that issue, where it may work's intermittently,  had engine couple's go out before but when they fail. You cannot get on plane again and again. They slip, when you go to higher rpm. Low rpm's are ok.  And its best to head to the dock. Here is a short clip on cone clutch.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zr7VdIJBEEI
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Thanks @randy56. I have to admit I always pictured the cone clutch being further up the driveline requiring an engine pull or something to change. This makes me feel better that if that's what my issue is it can be a somewhat easier did. If that's what the issue is.
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The bravo3 has no prop hub it all stainless steel , the coupler on the flywheel is rubber 
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Thanks @reneechris14 I seem to remember that about the props now. And I'm thinking a coupler would just plain fail. I've been thinking......maybe I'm getting bottom growth, just enough that it hinders when first heading out, but once I run a bit it scrubs off enough that I'm good the rest of the day. So maybe it is just prop slip. Think I'll just run it until it drops!
  • Options
    pistolepistole Member Posts: 158 ✭✭
    check your drive oil reservoir too
  • Options
    Thanks @pistole. Drive reservoir good. Happened again on the weekend. First run up the prop slipped just a bit for a few seconds. Another 10 run ups onto plane the rest of the day, nada. Solid and steady. Water been pretty scummy in the marina lately. I'm starting to think just enough crud on hull to cause drag until it cleans off a bit. Only other thing might be cone clutch, but I'd think that would get worse as the drive heats up, not go away.
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any chance your getting cavitation and not slip? Is the drive all the way down?
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Ye slip is something totally different 
    dirty bottom won’t create slip but drag which will translate to hard and long plane time 
  • Options
    Drive all the way down but could be cavitation. I use the term prop slip but should likely say cavitation. 
  • Options
    That would be caused by a worn or damaged prop
    or having a wrong prop
    is she getting to the rpm needed to plane with this happens ?
  • Options
    Prop is pristine. RPM is normal. All other operation is normal, RPM, top speed, cruising RPM and speed etc. 
    Just that first initial getting on plane for the day. After that, I can go half a mile, come down off plane, hit the throttle and get right back on plane with no issues. And every time after that .
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Willhound said:
    Thanks @reneechris14 I seem to remember that about the props now. And I'm thinking a coupler would just plain fail. I've been thinking......maybe I'm getting bottom growth, just enough that it hinders when first heading out, but once I run a bit it scrubs off enough that I'm good the rest of the day. So maybe it is just prop slip. Think I'll just run it until it drops!
    I think its the growth. Can you put your hand underneath somewhere and feel for it?
  • Options
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    Growth is the only thing that make sense to what Willhound is saying.  The only way to know is to brush the bottom and drives right before you take the boat out the next time.  (or borrow a friends lift for a week :) )

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes especially being the end of the year it has had a long time to grow.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Yeah......IF I go out today it'll be early.