Options

Battery replacement

IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
So I found my house battery died with it at 0V, not charging so it it seems a cell has gone open circuit as the charger and alternator all look good. As it and the other 2 are dated 2012, I think 6 years of running 6 months at a time up here is a good outcome and will replace in spring. The units in there now are tagged as Everstart Marine type 91 and 2 x 94's and with many years of experience and advice on this forum, time to pose the question that will get me many opinions and thoughts as I value the opinions here more than other online reviews.

Usage - twin 5.0l MPI to turn over and 4-5 hours on on battery floating around keeping fridge up and head pumps running when needed, most of the time we dock with power or use external generator.

Suggested replacement manufacturers and models based on your real world experiences.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

Comments

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All of my batteries are Deka made by East Penn Mfg. I have 2 house batteries that are Group 31's and 1 starting battery that is a Group 24. The starting battery has 1000MCA. I have had good luck with Deka batteries and I would recommend them to anyone looking for batteries.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    SpyderwebSpyderweb Member Posts: 879 ✭✭✭
    2 DECA starting batteries (1000 MCA) came with my new Bayliner 285.  Never used the fridge, but they were used for stereo, lights, water pump when on hook for day, and occasionally overnight (no generator).  I got 9 seasons out of them before they needed to be replaced.  
  • Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    West Marine batteries are made by East Penn. Excellent products, but you pay a premium price for them unless you catch one of their sales.

Andy
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Andy, seems they are the Deka makers also. Anyone else use others and have recommendations?

Also type - I have seen here groups 31 and 24 mentioned yet mine are 91 and 94. Same but different? What's the right one to use for each application?

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    24's for starting, 31's for house batteries
    No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
  • Options
    gackgack Member Posts: 315 ✭✭✭
    Home Depot caries Exide Nautilus batteries which I installed this season and others on this forum have given good reviews.  Cheaper than West Marine too.