Options

Blown coupler

reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
Made it out fishing with some guys last weekend drop the lines in about 8am (that's late) started banging in some seabass,porgys and small snaper blues. End of four drift or so going back to start again just about to come on plane and woom motor revs super high. Knock the thoddles back to neutral. Push port motor forward all good. Push starboard forward and woom nothing but air. I immediately shut down the starboard motor. Buddy of mine says we lost the prop. I said nope must be the coupler. I could hear a little bite of a noise. Only about 5 Mike's from home port si sae keep fishing till 1pm. Got back to the dock on one motor with no problem thanks to all that training from the 270 I had for years. Wheel full port shift ok full starboard shift and so on. Open the hatch get a light climb in the engine bay had a friend start the starboard motor engine spinning outdrive shaft sitting still. Well seemed to go up and down about a 1/8 inch. The season is now over :'( 
2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Open that checkbook Chris
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod

It doesn't have to mean the season is over!  It's a quick change and off you go!  This is the best time of year for boating!

Glad you had some good fishing though!  Love the pictures!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    whats involved in that repair 
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    GMSLITHO said:
    whats involved in that repair 
    Been there... Boat hauled, drive removed. Engine needs to be moved forward to remove old coupler and install new. Roughly a $1500 repair plus yard fees. For boats that dont have a couple of extra feet in front of the engine, the engine has to be removed. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    No cheap repair with a boat
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have Merc engines, there is a better HD coupler offered by Merc. Good time to upgrade while replacing. I think it is like $100 more. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BTW: usually the coupler goes due to poor drive alignment. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Yes mercuiser 350 horizon. Standard coupler $506 HD coupler $685 it steel vs. Aluminum. They call the HD one a working coupler. Don't know witch way I will go yet.I will douple and triple check alignment and mounts. 370 hours on the boat.
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You get all the fun. I changed one out this spring on my toon, (v6) only 180 hours. drive was aligned properly. not shore why it failed with so little hours. First thing after pulling the drive was to check alignment. I hired a tree service guy to come over and pull engine, he only charged me $200. for his crane.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    johnepjohnep Member Posts: 114 ✭✭
    In my last boat, a Bayliner 2855 with a big block.  I changer mine in less then a day.  Pretty easy if you are mechanically inclined.  I just lifted the motor with a come along, and turned it to the side.  Changed the coupler and swung that motor back in place. Certainly not a season ender! Granted I had a trailer and tools.
  • Options
    4 phone calls to 4 marina's no one has called back with a price yet. Looks like I'll be taking care of this myself in my back yard. Boat was scheduled to be hauled home 10/15 anyways. 
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sure you can handle it!
  • Options
    reneechris, I have a trailer that will work on your boat. I'm 15 minutes from the Ma, NH border on the Seacoast. If you want to pull the boat you are welcome to use my trailer. The outdrive has to come off to do the coupler. It's an option.
  • Options
    shawnmjr said:
    4 phone calls to 4 marina's no one has called back with a price yet. Looks like I'll be taking care of this myself in my back yard. Boat was scheduled to be hauled home 10/15 anyways. 
    All the marinas are probably starting to get swamped with winterizing boats, seems a little early, but that could be why. 
    Yes I agree 6 boats at my marina are on the hard.
  • Options
    johnep said:
    reneechris, I have a trailer that will work on your boat. I'm 15 minutes from the Ma, NH border on the Seacoast. If you want to pull the boat you are welcome to use my trailer. The outdrive has to come off to do the coupler. It's an option.
    Thank you for the offer sir. I little to heavy for my F350. But I do appreciate the offer.
  • Options
    rasbury said:
    I'm sure you can handle it!
    Dude don't you worry I got this.
  • Options
    johnep said:
    Thank you for the offer sir. I little to heavy for my F350. But I do appreciate the offer.
    My F350 pulls mine up a gravel ramp, but it's diesel.

• Options
    That's the flattest ramp I've seen. Good lookin rig 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Yep, very nice rig!
  • Options
    Just finished up in the back yard. Coupler replaced the hardest part was putting up a gantry I borrowed from a friend. 18' I beam with 4x4 legs the hole unit must of wieghed 1500#. Did not fat a pic of it but did take pic of the bad coupler.
  • Options

• Options
    The splines on the outdrive were good had to take a screw driver to get the ones from the coupler out of the drive.
  • Options
    That make's you wonder what the other one looks like.  both original ? good job! Are you going to stay out? or going back in. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Did you install the heavy duty version?
  • Options
    randy56 said:
    That make's you wonder what the other one looks like.  both original ? good job! Are you going to stay out? or going back in. 
    Staying at home was coming out on the 15th anyway. I'm 60 Miles form the ocean so a little bit of a haul.  I will pull both drives for the winter and inspect carefully. 
  • Options
    Did you install the heavy duty version?
    Stayed with the aluminum splines. It did not wear the splines on the drive, did read and talk to a couple people saying they only use the HD replacement. We can discuss it at the yacht club on 11/4.
  • Options
    Did you the motor out or just move it back?
  • Options
    rasbury said:
    Did you the motor out or just move it back?
    Was able to move it forward about 12inches. Mostly the motor mounts,bellhousing bolts,oil lube and the frenco's for the exhaust. Oh and pull the drive. About 5 hours + or - . The gantry took over 4 hours to put up and take a down.
  • Options
    If I had the space would have done the same....with what I had to work with its been a long time ..leak resolved shopping for exhaust elbows and then hopefully back in the water...are best boating weather is now through the spring....
  • Options
    It aint all that