Options

Captiva 192 aft bench seat back frame material - what is it?

Does anyone know what type of material is used for the seat backing for the aft bench seat?  It seems to be about 3/32" or so.  It has cracked and broken from kids repeatedly sliding over the sundeck into the bench, and now will not stay on the mounting brackets.  The upholstery is fine, I just need to get a new piece, rout some holes, and put a radius on it (curved seat).  Starboard doesn't come that thin.  I am guessing some kind of expanded PVC or HDPE?  I was hoping to work on this before the winter.  Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Options
    rsscogginsrsscoggins Member Posts: 5
    Did you ever find resolution?   I have the same issue.  
  • Options
    bella-vitabella-vita Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    It’s called Styrene its .090 thick
    2002 Rinker FV 342
  • Options
    strictlybliznesstrictlybliznes Member Posts: 46
    seems like you may have had this resolved, I had the same exact issue and brought it to the boat upholstery shop down the street from my marina and they did a much more "permanent" fix using thin plywood... for an extremely reasonable price... maybe something to consider 
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you call Rinker or email them, they can reproduce the seat back. Someone on the Facebook page did that and they made her a new seat back.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    Mine are also cracked in places, there are inherent weak points where the cutouts are that the tabs slide into and not hard to break accidentally. I have put in some metal pieces temporarily but ay need to do a more permanent fix.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    Clutchfluid1Clutchfluid1 Member Posts: 2
    Any word on this. Mine snapped yesterday. Need a fix fast.
  • Options
    Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 928 ✭✭✭✭
    These seat backs are very brittle. I hope the newer boats have a bit more sturdy setup. I need to fix one of the seat backs on my 232. 
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    I ordered a sheet of styrene 4’x8’ it was about $60 had to have it delivered to a local plastic specialty shop. They wanted $350 to deliver it to my house,when I went to pick it up it was on a pallet unwrapped it and took only the sheet. Ordered a tool of amazon for a few dollars to score it cut holes out with dermal.your gonna need an  upholstery staple gun (air)to shoot staples through the styrene and stainless staples which I had already from doing my jet ski seats 
    2002 Rinker FV 342
  • Options
    It’s also stapled from inside though back than staples were grounded off,here is a few mor pictures putting it back together.
    2002 Rinker FV 342
  • Options
    Clutchfluid1Clutchfluid1 Member Posts: 2
  • Options
    777kite777kite Member Posts: 12
    I have a 2002 Rinker Captiva 192 I have the SAME issue. How do I fix it? Can I get the parts to the back of all my seats from them? the Dry rot is causing all of the seats to come apart. 
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Email Mallery Wagner at mwagner@rinkerboats.com and they can make the seat back for you.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Ahl4Ahl4 Member Posts: 2
    I have the same issue on my 2003 Captiva 192. tried to email Mallery Wagner at the above email address but email address not working. Does anyone know of a different contact or source. Wondering if Rinker contacts have changed since the line is discontinued... Thanks in advance 

2003 Rinker Captiva 192 4.3L Mercruiser (carb)/Alpha 1 Gen 2