Options

chart plotting....what to use/buy

So we want to start taking our 270 FV on some trips to different lakes and places i.e. LOTO, Put In Bay, Florida, etc. I currently do not have a chart plotter except for the Navionics app on my phone. What's the most economical way to get a chart plotter on my boat? I wouldn't mind using a tablet with the navionics app, but I'm assuming that would need a cell signal or wifi to work. 

What is a good budget one to buy?

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lowrance or Garmin make some nice smaller models. I made a long trip just using my 5 inch Lowrance unit.
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You actually don't need a cell signal or wifi to use navionics. You can download the chart areas you are going to be in before you go on the trip. 

I used navionics on an android tablet for a 20 hour (round trip) voyage.  It was my backup chart plotter to the one I installed (dragonfly 7) and both of them read the exact same the entire time. The only trouble I had was in rough waves my mount for the tablet wasn't strong enough! 
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We have a raymarine color chart plotter but I actually tend to look at my iPad with navionics more. I use both on trips. As said above you pre download the maps do you don’t need WiFi or cellular under way, I actually turn them off, but your iPad must be cellular capable as only the cellular capable iPads have the gps chip that your phone does. Lots of good mount options out there, I use a suction mount from ram.
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Garmen echoMap 74 chirp is what I have.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    04FV270riverrat04FV270riverrat Member Posts: 268 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Well after doing some searching at work today(not actually doing work) I think I might look into going full vessel view with the chart plotter and getting rid of my analog gauges. Gotta see what will fit where and how much extra glass work will be involved. I'm thinking like a Simrad G07 with Vessel view link. Looks like I can get what I need for around 1k, just don't know if I have the room on the dash to make it look modernized and factory.
    Post edited by 04FV270riverrat on
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a Garmin 542s....it does everything I need for local rivers, lakes and intercostal boating. I don't know how bad a storm ir takes to lose the signal, it has no antenna. Also, do the charts need to be updated at some point? I have an SD card with it also..have had it for 8 or so years. Your needs may be totally different. I think I spent 600 bucks on it, unlikely they still make it. I would look on eBay after you figure out what you want.
  • Options
    normnorm Member Posts: 7
    I have an old raymarine rl70 but it's not very user friendly.

I recently got a Samsung tablet and i'm trying out various apps .  At the moment I'm using iboating for setting waypoints &  routes etc., Marine Ways as a backup and to see actual NOAA charts, Waterway Guide for marina and Anchorage info, and a NOAA app for local weather.

I keep all the apps running and just switch as needed. 

I mount the tablet on the old lowrance 2400 , that came with the boat, with a couple of velcro strips.

The maps are downloaded so all I need is the GPS signal.

I would try some free alternatives to navionics.  I think they charge to much for maps. My total cost for maps and apps is less than $20. 

And of course I can use the tablet for all sorts of other things.
  • Options
    F1100F1100 Member Posts: 292 ✭✭✭
    Raymarine dragonfly are great..easy to use, and combine fish and chart plotter in a compact size
    1993 300 FIESTA VEE TWIN 5.7L ALPHA GEN 2
  • Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    If traveling long waters 
    gps is a must 
    garmin is my fav 
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    F1100 said:
    Raymarine dragonfly are great..easy to use, and combine fish and chart plotter in a compact size
    The only thing I don't like about mine is that the memory for tracks is super small, gives me an error message after one or two times out and erases my track. ! 
  • Options
    F1100F1100 Member Posts: 292 ✭✭✭
    never used that function.. What I do like is the turn on, and it works without having to push any buttons set up :)

its also got a nice split screen for fishing
    1993 300 FIESTA VEE TWIN 5.7L ALPHA GEN 2
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there a way/need to update the charts/tides and other info or is that all feed to the device?
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your running a 545 there is a update for the unit from Garmin it's on the web site. If you want to update the charts it's going to cost you. You'll have to buy a chip $100+. The water I boat in have not changed in years so I don't see a update helping. Tides are programmed and they know the future I don't know how i think its magic.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Here's what I'm now thinking about. Just going all digital and replacing the factory gauges with a custom mount like diggin2day1 did on his boat.

connected to a Simrad GO7 or something similar that can connect and display the Vessel View info.

• Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    I have read the argument that you shouldn't have everything on a single device...ie chartplotter / gps / guages ect...all relying on a single device.  If that single device malfunctions you have nothing????
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    skennelly said:
    I have read the argument that you shouldn't have everything on a single device...ie chartplotter / gps / guages ect...all relying on a single device.  If that single device malfunctions you have nothing????
    If my single motor malfunctions I have nothing either....I can drive the boat without the gauges so that's not a big issue and just a chance I'll have to take I guess plus I would have a cell phone for backup GPS
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    When the boat has limited space at the helm, I'd argue that the benefits of full integration outweigh the risk of single-device failure.  (Unless you're going off-shore a lot, which changes the equation.)

The biggest benefit is seeing miles-per-gallon in real time.  That one number conveys a huge amount of diagnostic information because it encompasses not just the engines, but also the drives, props and hull.  For example, if your mpg suddenly drops by 20% from where you normally see it, you know something's wrong even if the engine gauges look okay.  
  • Options
    We mostly boat on rivers and lakes with cell service is something was to happen, plus the radio on the boat. I would like to boat in the ocean, but I don't plan on doing off shore long distance routes
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can get a satellite phone