Options

GFI Replacement + Charger Issue

picturethispicturethis Member Posts: 103 ✭✭
I have a GFI outlet in my battery switch box that wont reset.  The plug is still hot,  my question is do I really need to replace it since it still works??    I seldom use it for anything.  
   Not sure if its a related issue but........
I also noticed that the battery charger (Guest 2615) doesnt hum anymore when its plugged in to shore power but its still charging,  It used to make a noise when hooked up 
I am a new boater with my first boat,  thats why some of my questions seem dumb

Comments

• Options
    All items are stock to the boat

• Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    Personally I would replace if the gfci protection isn't working.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree, the outlet may work but the protection it provides won't.

Like the tagline but no questions are dumb - except the one you don't ask and should have!

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    How do you know it wont reset if its not tripped???? Did you push the "test" button? It does not have to reset if its not tripped. If its bad then it needs to be replaced. As far as the battery charger. If the batteries are fully charged then there is no load on the charger so maybe that is why your not hearing it hum.......
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    good point @raybo3
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    The test tab is stuck out,  so it wont test .   since the GFIC is bad will it effect other things in the system,  like causing other electrical gremlins ??

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Ahh OK so it wont trip when you hit the test or trip button. Now we are getting somewhere....lol GFCI is bad. Just replace it with another one. Just make sure to wire it the same way as the old one with the shore power off. No a bad GFCI should not cause any problems or "gremlins" anywhere else in the boat. It just may not trip if something should happen and it needs to trip causing a hazard. Replace it!!
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    Does replacement have to be USCG approved for marine use, or can he just put any ol' Home Depot GFCI in there?
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    The guy at marine supply shop told me he sells the same one as Lowes
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Replace it, they are cheap, and they use GFIs for a good reason.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭✭
    just put in a exterior grade GFCI from HD or Lowes.  Much safer than wondering. That will likely be the cheapest part you ever have to replace on your boat.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!