Options

GFI Replacement + Charger Issue

I have a GFI outlet in my battery switch box that wont reset.  The plug is still hot,  my question is do I really need to replace it since it still works??    I seldom use it for anything.  
   Not sure if its a related issue but........
I also noticed that the battery charger (Guest 2615) doesnt hum anymore when its plugged in to shore power but its still charging,  It used to make a noise when hooked up 

Everything is stock to the boat 

I am a new boater with my first boat,  thats why some of my questions seem dumb

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That may have been caused by a low or high current condition. 
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    @picturethis welcome to the RBOC. There really is no need to post the posting more than once. Everyone will see what your posting. Just trying to make it a little easier for you. Here is what I posted on your other posting: How do you know it wont reset if its not tripped???? Did you push the "test" button? It does not have to reset if its not tripped. If its bad then it needs to be replaced. As far as the battery charger. If the batteries are fully charged then there is no load on the charger so maybe that is why your not hearing it hum.......
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    picturethispicturethis Member Posts: 103 ✭✭
    sorry about the double post,  I saw this forum got more traffic
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    The things I'd be worried about with a GFI outlet that won't reset are:
    What is making it trip (short, ground, etc.)?
    What is down stream from the outlet that is also out as a result?

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Everything else seems to be working electrically ...... in the past I have had a GFIC at my home go bad same as my original post ,  isnt it a semi common problem issue with these outlets??
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    2 posts and a the same conversation going on in both arrg.  guess I'll pick one and stick with it.

GFCI do go bad and you replace them.  It's not common for a working GFCI to trip on it's own.  At home if this is happening something in the line is causing it to sense a voltage spike or "ground fault" and should be investigated if it continues to happen over and over.

I stick by my original recommendation...If the features of the GFCI are not functioning then replace it.  Not expensive or hard to swap out.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    Ok back to my original answer. How do you know it wont reset if its still working? Did you trip it? Will it not trip if you hit the "trip" button. If its working then it did reset.......
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Replacing that plug seems easy but having small hands to access it is a must which I dont have 

the test button is stuck out ,  it wont push in to test but the plug does work
    Since the plug in wired into the battery switch box will it cause other electrical gremlins because of the non working gfi?  
    Everything else electicly works on the boat
  • Options
    Short answer is the GFCI will not cause other problems..