Options

Contemplating our future and perhaps a move to VA.

DirtythirtyDirtythirty Member Posts: 393 ✭✭✭
We are considering moving or purchasing a vacation home in Virginia. To be exact, we are looking into the river and creek areas, south of the Potomac River.  Areas to include the Rappahannock River, Wicomico River and York River. Many of the places we have looked are deep water, quick access to the Chesapeake Bay and properties with private docks.  Real estate seems to be affordable, and taxes are low and VA seems to be retirement freindly.  Does anyone have any real information about these areas (from a boaters perspective) that they would like to share.

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Northern neck of Virginia is a great place and seems land is cheap for now if you want to build something which is on the Rappahannock River. Also check out the area north of Cape Charles. We spent a week there and saw a lot of nice homes almost on the bay!
  • Options
    Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    Friends of ours just bought a place outside of White Stone, on Tabbs Creek, just North of the mouth of Rappahannock River. Direct access to the bay, dock, 1 acre. $800K. They were getting a lot of fecal coliform and other pollutants in their creek from run off because of heavy rainfall amounts this year. I think they plan to get a center console right away and a sail boat later.
  • Options
    04FV270riverrat04FV270riverrat Member Posts: 268 ✭✭✭
    800k is affordable...
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    800k is affordable...

For waterfront on 1 acre, absolutely.

I like parts of the southern bay as well.  We always visit a place just north of Hampton (Salt Ponds Marina).  It is really beautiful and tranquil.  I think Rapp and York are nice, just not sure I'd want to be too far up them.  Just note of the low lying areas as well, cause they get the surge.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    What's your tolerance for being far from civilization (groceries, restaurants etc.)?  

You're probably already looking at Deltaville.  If you like chasing golf balls, consider Irvington/Kilmarnock, or even Leonardtown/Breton Bay in MD.  
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭✭
    Waterfront, smaller acreage than that would be my preference. We're contemplating future too and large house with a big yard is not in the crystal ball. Want to live on a boat most of the time.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    800k affordable ? And for a vacation home? I need to join the regal forum...
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Affordability is relative.  I watch these home shows on HGTV where the husband is a professional greeter at a store and the wife is a professional dog walker and they have a house buying budget of $1.2M.  Meanwhile here in reality land you can get a house on a canal for $350K or away from the water (who'd want to live there??) for closer to $200K.

But I agree for that neck of the woods, $800K is not crazy high.

My next residence will either float, or have a staff to put me back in bed when I fall out of it.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    edited September 2018
    @LaRea explain to me, please, the "proximity to civilization" thing.  We lived in Wayne County NY for a few years (I cut my teeth in boating on Lake Ontario...Amazing, but a whole other story)... and we were 45 minutes from Target, BJs Wholesale Club and Wegmans.  We learned real quick that our shopping days would be consolidated into one day and we hit all the stores in one trip.  But that was upstate NY, I really didn't think VA was that sparse. Also, MD is NOT a retirement friendly state. It's a shame, because I've seen some nice properties there.
    @04FV270riverrat   there is NO WAY we are looking at the 800 range. There is a lot of NICE waterfront properties in the under 400 range that click all of our boxes.
    @Dream_Inn Ok, another thing I'm not quite sure I understand.  The further up the creek/river you are, the more tidal surge ?  Is that current and rise ?  I see almost all the pre existing docks are fixed. No one has floating docks, so I am assuming tidal change with a strong current would really be an issue.  
    The other thing that I wonder about, is, all the homes we have looked at on-line, it seems no one has a cruiser. Is my boat going to be out of place there ?  I see alot of center consoles and bowriders. 

Post edited by Dirtythirty on
  • Options
    Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    Not a vacation house, but primary residence. Waterfront, 1 acre, 3BR/3Ba/3stall garage, updated inside. They are moving from Wheaton, Il (very high property taxes). It will be a lot further for us to visit them now, but they also used to live between Baltimore & Annapolis and we frequently visited. We'll enjoy going out on their boat/boats, center console & sail.
  • Options

Dirty, yes you get more tidal change the further up the river.  Add that to the correct wind direction and you will get a lot of surge.  & over the years, we've been getting more and more higher surges.  I would say most don't have floating docks due to cost.

As far as lack of cruisers, I'd say it's just because you can enjoy the water right at your house.  Lots of smaller toys to enjoy during the day with.

For the sparse, I'd say you hit the nail on the head.  You can hit the big shopping stores near Richmond or the route 95/17 corridor within an hour.

I also agree that MD is not the place for retirement.  We'll be out of here some day when done with the job.  I too will be looking at VA as one of the areas.  Honestly, a small cape cod on the water with a big boat! :)

• Options
    @Dream_Inn Thanks. That all makes sense !  Another thing I need to look at is the availability of large, full service marinas.  Having diesels in Gasland may be more of a problem than I originally planned on.   Haul-outs and service (especially for my set up) . One gets complacent knowing that all your mechanical issues are just an e-mail and a work order away !
  • Options
    @Dirtythirty, if you were coming to anywhere near my area, I know a very good mobile mechanic that does nothing but work on diesels and pod drives as well.  But, I'm afraid that is a bit too far away for them.  But, if you did move, maybe they'd be able to recommend somebody in your new area.

• Options
    edited September 2018
    @Dream_Inn I may take you up on that.  Here in NJ,  Eckels and Outstanding are the only game in town and Outstanding is in MD.  Volvo Penta certified mechanics are everywhere, however, when you throw the words "diesel" and "marine" into that mix, the numbers fall off the charts !
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    @LaRea explain to me, please, the "proximity to civilization" thing ... we were 45 minutes from Target, BJs Wholesale Club and Wegmans. 

Then the lower Chesapeake is right for you!  Some people would consider 45 minutes to be a traumatic life-hassle. 
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want to go to BJs 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    randy56 said:
    I want to go to BJs 
    Dirty old man
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct