Options

Water Pressure

2»

Comments

• Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    After some more checking, I have determined port side is working well with 1.5 PSI at idle and around 9 when taken up to 2400 or so, starboard always shows zero. I have come to the conclusion that the sensor is faulty, replacement on the way. Removing the connector confirmed the detection side is correct as it 2 beeped and VVM told me block pressure sensor was out.

However I have come to learn that there is not really an alarm on this sensor as the idle pressure is so low and the tolerances in the sensor don't make it viable as it would create false alarms per our buddy Wally at Merc. Explains why I don't see any with that 0 reading on starboard side.

Learning more every day, as we all do.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,568 mod
    Wait, are you saying that Merc disabled the "Sea Pump PSI Lo" alarm because the sensor can't detect it reliably?  
  • Options
    kordokordo Member Posts: 230 ✭✭
    Wow, please say that that isn't true.  Can't believe that Merc would do that.
  • Options
    That's what it seems to be as my starboard is at 0 with no alarms so I asked more questions and got the following. To quote directly "As I understand it, we can’t do an alarm on water pressure (flow) because it is so low at idle (was 0.5 psi on my 350 MPI) and we do not want to put a map in the ECU for pressure versus RPM, mainly due to fluctuations in sensor accuracy you would get false alarms."
    and "Coolant temp is a separate alarm and definitely gives you a fault (and can even limit engine power based on how severe the overheat is – engine guardian)."

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Following this closely as my dock neighbor continues to have an alarm on his 2004 merc 6.2 which he is told is a water pressure alarm. No overheat, has replaced sensors, can’t figure out alarm. Has had different mechanics on board. Would be crazy to find out there is no alarm. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Unless that engine and ECU is different. Just by adding VVM showed me the 2 sensors and one at 0 and my concern there was no alarms prompted inquiries and responses.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

• Options
    Found the reason for the low water pressure.  Twisted raw water intake hose in bravo 3 stern drive.  Having it replaced this winter.

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How would that get twisted like that? You must have raw water pickup or would have toasted the pump and overheated?
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,565 mod
    Nice find @kordo !  & thanks for updating us with a great picture!  

Just to add, I changed my other pump to a Hardin this year and still have the slight difference in pressure (which I thought was due to the different pumps).  

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    No raw water pickup, just the water from the stern drive.  I had enough water to keep the engine from overheating, plus I ran it for most of the season at less than planning speed.  Even at planning speed (no more than 15 minutes at a time), the engine never overheated.  No idea how it got twisted, must have been when transom seal was replaced.
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been there on that twisted hose. The new replacement has that upper part hard plastic so it will not twist. It can twist when installing the internal hose lock part incorrectly. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭✭
    Had that once on my Alfa drive temperature would clim if the drive was all the way down a little trim and the temperature would drop