Options

Windlass Gypsy Adjustment

Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
How do you all keep your Gypsy's adjusted? I keep mine tight, I dont have the wrench that came with the windlass but a larger cresent wrench fits fine and gives me lots of leverage. I keep the Gypsy pretty tight. We only anchor 5 or 6 times a year. A friend was saying that is not right, that it should be snug but not super tight. He said that when you are setting the anchor and a lot of strain is put on the windlass because you are in reverse it should be able to slide out some when it catches. How do the experts here adjust?
07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

Comments

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    To be honest I have not adjusted mine.  When I had mixed rode I would tie some of the line past the windlass to the cleat to keep strain off the windlass.  Now that I have all chain I use my safety clip (steel cable with stainless clip on the end) in a similar spot to keep the strain off the windlass.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Stodge - yep I do the same. While anchored I move the rope from the windlass to the cleat to take strain off of the windlass. I've noticed that when I set the anchor, I am in reverse, and when it catches there is a sound of strain on the rope. The windlass doesnt give an inch and I'm thinking maybe it should have some intentional gypsy give....
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Mine used to give a little but it took a pretty good tug.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    Hey Stodge - yep I do the same. While anchored I move the rope from the windlass to the cleat to take strain off of the windlass. I've noticed that when I set the anchor, I am in reverse, and when it catches there is a sound of strain on the rope. The windlass doesnt give an inch and I'm thinking maybe it should have some intentional gypsy give....
    Likewise, nothing on gypsy moves and once anchor is set I tie to cleat and pull clear of gypsy. When pulled back up I use a couple of bungey cords to hold anchor in to put no strain on the windlass. I have never adjusted my gypsy.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    McGarnicleMcGarnicle Member Posts: 242 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I haven't really touched mine yet, I will say its loud as sh!t and a PITA to bring back up. Not sure if the rode just needs to be replace or time for a new windlass 
    Post edited by raybo3 on