Options

Transom area leak

I have a 2009 Rinker 280 express cruiser with the molded in swim platform.  I have developed water leaks near the hull and transom.  Looks like a crack has developed.  Boat is well maintained and lightly used with only 322 hours on 8.1 Merc Bravo III.  Any one else having these problems?

Comments

• Options
    NickWightNickWight Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    Hello. Are you certain that it's a crack of some sort?

We've had leaks into the swim platform void and into the engine compartment on our 2008 Rinker 280 and we traced the problem to the drain tubes on both the
    pop-up cleats and the cup holders having never been fitted. The water coming in through both of those places caused significant amounts of damage -- but that's another story!
  • Options
    boatmandanboatmandan Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    These water leaks are below the water line.
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bellows? 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Transom seal? Hit anything lately?
  • Options
    Bellows are brand new.  Haven't hit anything.
  • Options
    There could be a hole in your bellows or it could be installed incorrectly. Then there is the transom assembly. Read this old thread. Are you sure you have a crack? How much water is in the budge?

https://rinkerboats.vanillacommunities.com/discussion/5654/another-transom-leak/p1
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Mine was an 06 and the lower right of the main transom seal was leaking. When I pulled the asy, the seal had gone completely flat. Not a seal that age will be kind to. I replaced my bellows and gimbal bearing assuming that was the issue but it was clear it was not. I think knocking on that bearing really broke what seal was left as it leaked much worse. If your transom has not gone bad and the bellows are not leaking then that is about all that is left.
  • Options
    The transom assembly was brand new and installed by a certified Merc dealer 4 months ago. 
  • Options
    When did this leak appear? after all those repairs, you did a lot so far. Do you trailer? a old test is to put it on the trailer, then put water in the bulge. And see where it come's out, Of course not to much to hurt anything,
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    So, what I did with my leak was to run calk around everything on the outside, plastic bag over the out drive, plugged the water exits- everywhere water moves from the inside to the out then kept dunking/removing until it leaked. There are lots if places to leak- Speedo hose is another culprit- and that assumes the mechanic got everything back on and sealed. With all my efforts, my shift cable boot was not on properly and pulled off a little spot when I reinstalled that was leaking - I was shocked! I would take it back to who ever did the work for a recheck- guessing you paid them some coin and it can happen to anyone.