Options

If you were considering re-power versus different boat...

StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
So I've started thinking about how I'd like to do my retirement boating.  Granted it's 10 years out but I'd like to have some ideas and maybe a plan in place.  I really like the Beneteau Swift Trawler 30 (http://www.boattest.com/review/beneteau/3493_swift-trawler-30) for a number of reasons.  But I'm rather fond of our 342.  If I was to keep the 342 until I was done boating it would need to be re-powered at some point. 

I have seen complete drop-in ready closed cooling 6.2s for about $11k each.  Add in the labor and I'm guessing around $25k-$30k to re-power.

Other side of that is the Swift Trawler which, by the time I'd be ready to buy, should be selling for the $150k-$200k neighborhood.

The advantage of the Swift Trawler is that it would be newer (2016 versus 2002) and get better fuel economy not to mention being diesel which is generally cheaper fuel.

The advantage to keeping and re-powering the 342 is lower cost up front in favor of higher operating costs.  So kind of a "pay me now or pay me later".

Thoughts???

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get out of boating while you can LOL
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You wouldn't get much money back from the 342 when your done with it after retirement. I would say go with the Swift, beautiful boats and hold their value really well.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    The Swift is a beautiful boat.  I agree with Aero!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 342 will have many more issues at that age, Not just repower,  maintenance, will be strong, old things wear out. Like us.  I'm 62 and not as nimble as use to be, getting in and working in tight places, on component's,is painful. you will be there also.  If my wife loved boating as much as I do, or your wife, TRAWLER was my thought also. The 342 will be a good down payment, as that is a big sum of money. Operating cost will be much less. with the trawler. Peace of mind in a newer boat making a long voyage, has merit. Spending weeks at a time on a boat you need to be comfortable. X3 trawler.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Ye repower is just not worth it 
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    Trawler trawler is also a whole different ride 
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Must agree will the above comments, the repower will not take care off the drives,transom assembly, A/C, etc...
    Now the swift trawler you need to step up to the 38 for twin motors this way when you do the great loop you will have more confidence.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    I also subscribe to Boattest.com and have thought the Swift Trawler was a very appealing boat. Being so close to the Mississippi as we are, it would be ideal for long distance cruising. The Back Cove Downeast Cruisers are likewise very nice.
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks like I better start saving my nickles for the trawler in my future.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just caught up on this. I love my 342 but one day when I retire I will have straight inboards (MAYBE V drives) and a large engine room that I can get around in fairly easily. go trawler. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stodge said:
    Looks like I better start saving my nickles for the trawler in my future.
    Nickles,quarters,dimes and Penny's. 
    You can do it!!
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct