Options

Cleaning cockpit cover

Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
My cockpit cover needs washed in the worst way. What do you all do to clean it? The cover is for a 280EC, so putting it in my home washer isn't going to work. Should I take it to a laundry mat or clean it at home with a hose?
2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
Go Steelers!!!

Comments

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Clean and re seal?
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep. Me about the same . But I treat mine both spring and fall. ;)
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    You will definitely want to treat it after you are done.  I agree with a scrub and just some kind of soap.  Rinse thoroughly when done.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    04FV270riverrat04FV270riverrat Member Posts: 268 ✭✭✭
    I need to wash mine also, whenever I use it, it leaves black streaks like crazy on my hull.
  • Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Do it If it fits into a commercial washer 
    or you can scrub both sides with a brush and once dry apply water repellent.
    on my old Rinker I had full canvas for boating season and used mooring cover for winter.
     I keep all of my boats without shrink and under a roof for the winter.
    so cover was the way to go. I would pull it in the spring and wash it.

• Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭✭
    We lay ours on the driveway too - after washing it down. We use ivory soap and a foam sponge, hose off, flip over, wash the other side and then hose it all off. Generally use patio furniture chais and tables scattered to lay it over to allow to fully dry. Best on a sunny and slightly breezy day.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will treat it. I usually do that once or twice a summer. I am getting some mold on the underside of it that I would like to get rid of. I am sure it is from putting the cover on when the cover was damp and/or the cockpit was damp. I rarely use my camper top.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭✭
    Driveway is best. I use a 5 gal bucket of hot tap water & half a jug of Simple Green. Scrub both sides, hose off well. Dry the cover over whatever is around. Even draped it over my truck before. Treat it with a good waterproofer. Starbrite works fine. Splash the waterproofer on the canvas & use a foam paint roller on a long handle to push the product around.
    246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    For waterproofing I use a roller and tray but do it on the boat. Used to do while spread on drive but found it would soak and be drawn through to driveway. When in free air it soaks in but then stays there in the fabric.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    Before brushing, take a close look at the brush.  If the bristles are old and frayed, don't use it on canvas.  Get a fresh brush, or you'll end up with tiny fibers stuck all over the canvas.  
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LaRea said:
    Before brushing, take a close look at the brush.  If the bristles are old and frayed, don't use it on canvas.  Get a fresh brush, or you'll end up with tiny fibers stuck all over the canvas.
    Boy, did I learn that the hard way last year. Little blue specs all over my black tops. Good tip @LaRea.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    Thats why we use a new foam sponge, holds together, lathers up nice and you get a good covering easier tan a brush. And soft.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

• Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used a garden sprayer.
    Boat Name :