Options

Wax recommendations

luvinlifeluvinlife Member Posts: 501 ✭✭✭
My white FV 270 is coming out of the water this week and I will winterize and clean and wax before the shrink wrap goes on. This is my third season and I typically use the basic Bass Pro cleaner/wax. I do it again in the spring. I relatively pleased with the results but would like a higher shine.  There is no oxidation on my boat but it's not mirror shiny.  Thinking maybe compound then wax?  Looking for real life experiences and product recommendations. 

Comments

• Options
    McGarnicleMcGarnicle Member Posts: 242 ✭✭✭
    I like Buff magic for polish and then Jet seal by chemical guys for a sealer 
  • Options
    Thanks i will will google those products. 
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also look at Collinite products. Check out the link below.
    https://www.collinite.com/marine-wax/

2008 330EC
  • Options
    69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 949 ✭✭✭
    Collinite 885 is some great stuff. 
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    I agree that Collinite makes a good product.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭✭
    If your gel coat is already in good shape you prob don’t need compound products. Just a good polymer wax/polish. Meguiars Flagship or Shurhold Pro Polish work really well. The polymer stuff won’t junk up your buffing towels & polishing pads.
    246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have always used Meguiar's Flagship. More work to buff-off (we bought new white face cloths every year at Walmart LOL) but IMO better result. Great carnuba content. Used it on four Rinkers with black hulls, several black vehicles and now my 2018 black Yamaha FX Cruiser SVHO. Love the stuff!
  • Options
    My gelcoat isn’t oxidized much if at all. It’s not as shiny above the rubrail as it is below, though. Maybe I will just use one of the recommended waxes or polishes below the rub rail and compound the gelcoat above the rub rail then wax. I really like to keep my boat looking good. Every season she has a few more imperfections that probably only I notice. Still looks good for a 2006. I have been asked if it was new. Thanks to all who made suggestions. 
  • Options
    If gelcoat is in decent shape then I would not use compound at all, I would just use a polish and sealer. I used Collinite the past 4 years on my Chaparral and also agree its great stuff, the paste can just be a PITA to work with though. JetSeal they claim lasts 12 months, which I don't think in a marine environment is going to be possible, but it did hold up a lot longer than I was expecting, and now they even have ceramic sealers which is supposed to last multiple years. For polish I've only used 3M and Buff Magic, can't go wrong with either. 
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Skip using towels and use quality microfiber towels to remove the wax.  You’ll be amazed at the difference over terrycloth. Plus they wash and reuse. No scratches!

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    bry1429bry1429 Member Posts: 371 ✭✭✭
    Skip using towels and use quality microfiber towels to remove the wax.  You’ll be amazed at the difference over terrycloth. Plus they wash and reuse. No scratches!
    I couldn't agree more, I have 18 of these and love them !
  • Options
    I ordered some Shurhold Buff Magic and Pro Polish and will give it a shot.  The Buff Magic will be for above the rub rail only. I will report results when complete.  Maybe a couple weeks. 
  • Options
    If gelcoat is in decent shape then I would not use compound at all, I would just use a polish and sealer. I used Collinite the past 4 years on my Chaparral and also agree its great stuff, the paste can just be a PITA to work with though. JetSeal they claim lasts 12 months, which I don't think in a marine environment is going to be possible, but it did hold up a lot longer than I was expecting, and now they even have ceramic sealers which is supposed to last multiple years. For polish I've only used 3M and Buff Magic, can't go wrong with either. 
    Jetseal doesn't last 12 months on a car, much less a boat. As a semi professional auto detailed, I find Chemical Guys products grosly overhyped. 
  • Options
    Jetseal doesn't last 12 months on a car, much less a boat. As a semi professional auto detailed, I find Chemical Guys products grosly overhyped. 
    JetSeal and some of their car wash soap is the only products of theirs I've used and was satisfied. I also knew going into it that JetSeal wasn't going to last 12 months though. I'm by no means a professional but between all my cars, Harleys, and boats I've done a lot of detailing in my days and it really just becomes personal preference. 
  • Options
    JetSeal and some of their car wash soap is the only products of theirs I've used and was satisfied. I also knew going into it that JetSeal wasn't going to last 12 months though. I'm by no means a professional but between all my cars, Harleys, and boats I've done a lot of detailing in my days and it really just becomes personal preference. 
    I haven't used their soap, so I can't comment on that. JetSeal isn't bad, but I do find it just "okay."  Try out Jescar Power Lock. It's roughly the same price and I find it to be a better product, in my experience. 
  • Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    Ive used Starbrite Marine polish with PTEF since new in 2013. One good application in the spring and some wax as you dry in the middle of the season keeps it shining & beading like crazy.

2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭✭
    Meguiars Flagship since new. Got top buck for the boat when I traded it in Aug.

246BR, 276BR, H310BR current