Options

Hi everyone, i am new here getting ready to purchase a 2002 Rinker 342. This would be my 1st big boa

cls10105cls10105 Member Posts: 352 ✭✭
I am new at this and completely confused. Is the 2002 Rinker 342 an easy boat to learn for a beginner? 
cruising on 6. tw0s

Best Answers

• Options
    cls10105cls10105 Member Posts: 352 ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the help and advice. Can anyone recommend a company to move this boat? From lake lanier Georgia to Chattanooga Tennessee.
    cruising on 6. tw0s

Answers

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    It can be depending on how it was maintained. Be prepared to spend heaps of money
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    Oh, and:  hire a professional surveyor to inspect the boat before you buy.  Expect to spend a few hundred dollars for a survey that takes several hours.  
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    X2 no a surveyor you need check out as much as possible so you know what your getting into. The boat is over 16000lbs loaded up so think twice when it comes to maneuvering.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure where you are boating at.  If you hunt around you can usually find a 6-pack / captain that does boating lessons and walk you thru safety, etc. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some great advice above. Yes it is just fine for a beginner, just keep in mind what was said above about all of the systems. Depends on how the previous owner maintained things but likely you will need to replace some things like pumps for the sink, toilet, or shower drain and do some engine and generator maintenance. It’s part of the deal so don’t be discouraged if some things need tending to at first. Two guys on my dock this summer got Rinker 34s as beginner boats and while both had do do some work or have work done throughout the summer they both finished the year very happy and learned a lot. Good luck and as said hire a good surveyor who will test every system, thoroughly go over the boats structure, and will go over the engines, drives and generator so that you know of any work needed ahead of time and can negotiate that in the price. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)