Options

Raymarine 7” ES78 install

04FV270riverrat04FV270riverrat Member Posts: 268 ✭✭✭
I replaced my analog factory gauges with a 7” MFD in the helm. Im more than likely gonna have a custom panel made this winter to mount it in, but this piece of wood works for now. 

Comments

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    How does the gas gauge on that work?  I ask because I know of some folks who bought a boat that had all the gauges removed and vessel view put in its place.  Which is great except the gas gauges didn't work.  I think they got it fixed with some wiring adjustments and calibration etc.  But not having the analog gas gauges was an issue for a while.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    @Stodge Mercury sells a harness (2 different versions depending on what plug the engine has) that plugs into the engine harness and then has 2 level sender plugs that you can use for anything. I only have 1 fuel tank, so I hooked it to my fuel tank, I might use the other for fresh water or waste, not sure yet. 
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry I was asking about the accuracy of the fuel tank reading on that device.   If it's as good as the analog gauge that's great.  

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    it seems pretty accurate so far, my analog showed just under a 1/4 tank and this is showing about 20%. I'm putting gas in it this weekend, so I'll check it for accuracy.
  • Options
    tk1973tk1973 Member Posts: 120 ✭✭
    Looks amazing. Any chance you have a parts list of what’s required? I’ve got a single 496 in my 280. 
  • Options
    tk1973 said:
    Looks amazing. Any chance you have a parts list of what’s required? I’ve got a single 496 in my 280. 
    Here’s what I bought, plus the display.

• Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    It also hooked up to the factory depth finder transducer 
  • Options
    GMSLITHO said:
    It also hooked up to the factory depth finder transducer 
    No, it came with a transducer that does depth, temp and sonar
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if I could keep the mechanical gauge and the Smartcraft sender wires both connected to get fuel levels on my VVM app as well as the dash?
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod
    I wonder if I could keep the mechanical gauge and the Smartcraft sender wires both connected to get fuel levels on my VVM app as well as the dash?

Well, I know @LaRea has not figured out a way yet.  I'm not sure it's possible.  It's part of the reason I haven't switched mine over yet to see on my VV.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    You can't directly connect the tank sensor to both the gauge and the engine computer.  It's one or the other.  It should be possible to design a simple circuit to connect both, but it's not something I've seen anybody attempt.