Options

How not to winterize...2002 Rinker 342 fiesta vee

cls10105cls10105 Member Posts: 352 ✭✭
Me again, as i had said before i am pretty new to boating. In fact this is my1st twin engine. I wanted to use the winter months to practice and learn how to handle my boat. But not sure of the best way not to winterize without causing major expensive damage. Help for the newbie please. Thanks again!
cruising on 6. tw0s

Comments

• Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    Where are you located?

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    I think he said Tennessee.  I wouldnt think you get deep freezer and if you keep the boat in the water you should be fine...should I say.  Do people leave their boats in water year round in Tennessee?
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    Chattanooga Tennessee.  We do have boats that are kept in the water year round but it does get really cold here.
    cruising on 6. tw0s
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    Don't let anybody tell you to hang an electric light bulb in the engine room.  Anything in the ER must be spark-protected.   

There are marine electric heaters rated for use in the ER.  But ask yourself:  do you trust the power grid at your marina?  
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Webasto or eberspacher, and either flavor (air or hydro) will work.  Not only will it protect engine from freeze, you can put a timer, a thermostat, and/or even a cell signal start on it.  It would be nice to hang on the boat at dock on nice winter day and it be toasty warm, and just from the webasto or eberspacher. Personally, I like the eberspacher better, but its just splitting hairs... 

I plumbed one into a diesel truck i had.... 40 below in north country one morning and went out to truck, turned key, and coolant and oil was 176* while fuel was nowhere near gelling.... I was and am sold on them .
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He must winterize same as anyone. Geny, both engine's and water system. As wind chill can be 10 in February. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    Wind chill?  That wouldn't contribute to anything freezing...just sayin
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    MojosBoatMojosBoat Member Posts: 96 ✭✭
    I live in Middle TN and I have an engine bay heater and put a small ceramic space heater inside the cabin. It does not have to keep it 70 deg just needs to stay above freezing. We had an usually long deep cold spell last year and it went through it with no issues. We took the boat out at least once A month during the winter. Sometimes more. Its nice to get out on the lake in the winter and not have many people around. 
    ALL IN AGAIN, 410 FV Twin 8.1 H/O MPI, V-Drives , 
  • Options
    I would like to do that but if the power goes out i dont think insurance would pay for it. And i am getting broke really fast.lol
    cruising on 6. tw0s
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on the 342. As for the broke part. ..get used to it. :p
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Broke, every boat sould come with a little plastic card. I'll pay later.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct