Options

Re-seal a Bravo III

McGarnicleMcGarnicle Member Posts: 242 ✭✭✭
So changed out my drive lube this past weekend and starboard had about a shot glass worth of water in the oil. 

Would re-sealing it be the next step? Does anyone know a ballpark estimate what it costs to re-seal?

Talked to guys at the marina and they said it was pretty common, fill it back up and not to worry about it. My mechanic pretty much hinted toward the same and mentioned its outrageous to get it re-sealed. I really have no problem dropping the money, just curious what we're talking about and if it really is nothing to worry about if I'm changing the lube annually. 

Comments

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A couple of years ago I had both my drives resealed at $600 each. He broke down both drives washed cases out checked bearings reshimed resealed. I think mercuiser dealer calls for 8 hours labor. He also did one on my 270 4 years ago and its still running strong.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,560 mod
    You could also get it pressure checked (or pressure check it yourself).  But, that may be up to half the cost of just sealing it.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Alswagg said:
    We usually complete reseal of B 3 for $500 plus tax.  B1-2 for $400.  These are with the drives already off.   If you have that much water, they need resealed    If the prop shafts have a groove or any shaft for that matter, is obviously extra 
    Okay I think this is why my mechanic says a seal job is outrageous cause he stated you're supposed to change the shaft as well. 
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,560 mod
    I agree.  I would never want to allow outside water into my drive.  I know my drives are pushing a lot of weight and want to make sure I can do everything to maintain them properly.  I think it'd be wise to have your drives resealed at a minimum. If there is an issue with the shaft allowing water in, it will be much cheaper to fix now rather than wait for more issues.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    I completely agree, its FW but still not any better. Just seems like my mechanic doesn't want to deal with it. I'll probably start calling around to get some prices. 
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was able to get new seals, bellows, shift cable and gimbal bearing all done for just under $1000 CDN last fall. Shafts were all good. Upper seal was leaking a bit and while no water was getting in it would periodically puke the oil back out the drive shaft bellows into the bilge creating a mess. All good this season.
    Change oil every fall and pressure test at same time costs me under $200. But I also have a very reasonable mechanic that likes cash.

"Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)