Options

2005 270 Fiesta Vee

bat32bat32 Member Posts: 161 ✭✭✭
The admiraland I are considering moving up the Cruiser class and have been keepin our eyes open.  We have come across a nice 2005 270 Fieasta Vee for what seems to be the right price.  I have heard some concerns on the site about the 270 having a hard time planing.  Was that just the earlier models or somthing inherent on the model.  It is powered with a 6.2L mpi with a Bravo III outdrive.  We usually go out with at least two adults and two kids but do commonly take other familys out as well.  Any comments would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭

I believe it was 2002 and prior that had a lower swim platform which created planing issues.  That and the smaller 280 or 300hp engine.  I had a 2006 with the 5.7 320hp engine and had no issues planing even with lots of people and gear.  The 270 is a great boat.

• Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2013
    We own a fully loaded '04 with a 5.7 350 300hp merc and we're very happy with it. That '05 is a great model year and it has the perfect engine for it. Have it fully surveyed, give it a good sea trial and go for it. Don't forget to get actual costs to store it, insure it and fix any tired parts before you sign the bottom line.

Good luck, Mike.

2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Thanks for the info.  Well, just found out the boat was sold.  But now I know more about the later 270's and feel more comfortable looking at the purchase of them. 
    Post edited by bat32 on

• Options
    edited July 2013
    Sorry about you missing that one Bat. After going crazy doing the initial research and finally finding the 270  we wanted, and now owning this one for over a year I'd still have the same opinions that I had set in my shopping zone. The 270 that we felt had the best attributes for the meager bucks we could budget would be a rack/lift/trailer stored '04-'08 hull with the 6.2 Merc/ B3. As a 2nd choice we'd also look for a low hr 5.7 Merc/B3 (which is what we found). 

Genset, a/c, full canvas and quality upholstery were a must down here so then it boiled down to the type of use/abuse every candidate had seen. I was also paranoid about a colored gelcoat after so many overly cautious posts. Turns out that it's merely a process to bring one back to showroom shape and imho it really sets the boat apart from the crowd.

My patience paid off and although I missed a few earlier ones (and glad I did now) we found just the right one and tweaked it a bit to make it perfect. I'm sure you'll find the right one too. Good luck with that 3-foot-itis. :D Mike
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
  • Options
    BabyboomerBabyboomer Member Posts: 918 mod
    2000 had the bolt on platform that drug in the water my 99 has no problem 270 is a great boat. And I almost bought that bolt on swim deck boy am I glad I didn't

Slip 866 Sunset Marina Byrdstown Tn
  • Options
    ithacarinkithacarink Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
    I also have a 2005 270 and have no issues with the platform. You won't ever get this boat confused with a sport boat but with 4 adults and 4 kids and a days worth of gear she does alright. Up on plane in a reasonable amount of and handles quite well. We have the 350/B3 set up. I have heard some opinions that the big block hp increase is offset by some additional weight in a critical spot, but that is probably from people like me with the "small" engine to make ourselves feel good. As mike says watch for the hull color. I also have blue and it is a labor of love, but once you get it, it sure does look pretty. Good luck! Nick
  • Options
    BabyboomerBabyboomer Member Posts: 918 mod
    I have a 454 B3 and she's on plane in 8 seconds and I only use tabs for leveling never on take off always put larger people in front with me but have never sent them to the cabin like some some do with the old 350 260 HP

Slip 866 Sunset Marina Byrdstown Tn
  • Options
    Is the LOA on the 270's 28 feet?

• Options
    31 stem to stern if I remember. Ill put a tape on it in the morning.
  • Options
    gslprogslpro Member Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
    Hey Bat32.  Not sure where you are from or boat, but I moved up to the 290 instead of the 270 for a few reasons.  Number one is room.  Bigger beam, bigger LOA, 6 foot 5 inch head room in the cabin.King sized bed in the mid, full up front.  Number two was twin engines for the maneuverability and safety of having one engine to limp myself back home in case of issue.  Of course, I want a 342 now, but that is good ole foot'itis at its best working.  Take a look at the 290 if you see one.  I have wished that I bought the 270 before, for it is cheaper to maintain one engine, cheaper to store, and slip, but I am glad I have the twins.  I load 6 or 8 people on-board and have no issues whatsoever in planing.  
    Gary and Diane
    290 FV Nauti Bonnie
  • Options
    I'm on Lake Michigan this year.  Our 246 is 26' LOA and handles well on the lake but the kids are getting bigger and even though we have the full canvas enclosure, things are getting tight.  We feel like we are missing out on some of the marina life because we are constantly picking up and heading home at the end of the day. Plan on spending a few days out on the boat this week and I think it will be the final tipping point for the admiral.  However as with anything, it comes down to money.  If I could afford it I would have a brand new 310 parked in my slip to match the neighbors but unfortunately that's not in the cards.

• Options
    browncbr1browncbr1 Member Posts: 55 ✭✭
    I have a 2005 270 with 350MAG MPI and I'm pretty darn happy with it.  I have to run the motor a little harder than I would prefer, but I think you will be happy with the big block too...  The difference in fuel burn probably won't be much, as I think I have to turn about 500 more RPM to run the same speed as a big block..  I looked at these for a long time after owning a 272, which we also loved... I decided against a genset because it's heavy and just more than you need... it also being watercooled just adds another thing to maintain... I got a honda EU2000 and couldn't be happier hanging on the hook... As far as trailering, I wouldn't want to trailer anything bigger.  I think the 270 is the perfect size.  
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭

As previously mentioned I had a 270.  We loved the boat but after many nights on Block Island, other far away cruises, and even at our marina, with two noisy kids under the age of 5, it suddenly shrunk..  We tested the waters in the off season and lucked out and had a person buy the boat for the same price we paid for it, just a 100 hours later.  Admittedly we got a really good deal.  We managed to find a local 360 with low hours and under 100k, and we bit on it.  We could not be happier, especially with that captains quarters door that we can shut....  And i could not be happier with peace of mind of dual engines on longer cruises, and a wife that doesn't get as sea sick due to the boats stability.  The family is leaving in an hour to go spend 3 days on the boat at anchor.  I can't wait to shut this Computer off.  I guess everyone has different needs and different budgets, but we needed to go bigger.

• Options
    Hey Bat, It's still raining here so it dawned on me to go out and measure our '04 FV270 length. It's 27' from the bow rub rail to the transom. Add the anchor on it's roller and the swim platform and it comes out to 32' overall.

When we were shopping for boats Rinker was one of the only mfg to measure what I considered an actual hull length. SR was very cagey about the length of their 26 which includes the bow roller and swim platform. This makes a Rinker an even better buy in my book due to the fact that you'd need to compare an FV270 to a SR 29 or longer to get a boat of comparable length.

Good luck in your search. Hope you find the right one to build great new memories with.

Mike
  • Options
    SandkriceSandkrice Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    Hey Bat, we have an 06 270 and we have been very happy with the rig. Ours has the 8.1 which is a bonus but we tested the 5.7 prior to buying ours and it was fine as well. Must haves for us were genset and ac. Good luck on your search!
  • Options
    vyborny1vyborny1 Member Posts: 77 ✭✭
    Hey bat I'm not sure where you are located, but there looks to be a nice 1 in Indy for sale. It looks like a fair price. I'm not affiliated with it at all. It is just giving me a bad case of 3 ftits, (a really bad case, and the admiral veto it). But it looks to loaded up. I think the marina is called "just add water boats". Anyways good luck on your search.
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee
  • Options
    First off thanks to everyone with the support!! Vyborny the one in indy was the one I was going to check out but when I inquired about it I was told it was sold already. Almost makes me believe it is the old bait and switch going on over there. However after three night s straight on the 246 I think I've sod the wife on a cruiser. If it was just us and no kids it would be perfect but thats not the case so still have my eyes open. Just found one in central Illinois I'm inquiring about. Wish me luck!!!!

• Options
    They told us that the one we eventually ended up with was sold too and so I said to keep my name if something fell apart......the buyer couldn't get his cash together so a few weeks later, completely out of the blue, they called me and the rest is history. 

Just sayin'. If it's going to happen weird things can intervene. Good luck in your search.
  • Options
    SandkriceSandkrice Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    Hey Bat, our 270 is located at Lake of the Ozarks and we have decided to list for sale. Shoot me a note if you have any interest.
  • Options
    SpacelordSpacelord Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    I love our 2005 270.  I have the 5.7.. it does OK.  i would love to have the bigger engine though.
  • Options
    vquadvquad Member Posts: 116 ✭✭✭

my 270 has the 8.1 Volvo and jumps on plane even when fully loaded

we average between 1.5 and 2.0 mpg with the generator on depending on conditions and I normally run at 3500 rpms for maximum fuel rate(around 29 mph +/-)

a friend of ours followed us down the intracoastal this weekend and he was taching 4000 rpms at the same speed with the 5.7 engine

2007 rinker 270

"Julie Ann"

• Options
    luvinlifeluvinlife Member Posts: 501 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    I have a 2006 FV 270 with the 5.7 and 280 hp Volvo DP.  It does just fine with loads up to 7 people. Not a speed demon but not an issue either. I need about 3800 rpm to feel good and the sweet spot is closer to 4000. Cruising in the mid twenties. Top speed at 5000 RPMs I have seen is 37.7 mph but I rarely push it harder than 4000. 
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @luvinlife ....good specs.. ....but you do realize that thread you responded to is 5 years old? :D
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭