Options

Hello I am a new Rinker owner, 2007 Rinker 230 Atlantic cc. “I am the new guy at the dock”

5.0L MPI, 260 hp Mercrusier engine, with Alpha I, GEN.II drive, 19 pitch prop. This boat has a difficult time getting on plane. With 4 adults on board, 1/2 tank (25 gals.) fuel, 40-50 lbs. gear, when planed and trimmed, WOT is low at 4200 rpm, the top gps speed is 34-35 mph. Our local marine tech has suggested a prop change to 17 pitch, to improve the WOT and top speed, plus trim tabs to improve getting on plane perfomance. Another marine tech has suggested Interlux VC17m antifouling boat bottom paint. I am interested in hearing what other Rinker owners have experienced, with a similar boat model. Thanks Jack 

Best Answers

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    Answer ✓
    You have come to the right place!  Bottom paint could indeed be a factor.  Where are you?  How old is the bottom paint?  Does it feel rough to the touch?  
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    You will see a big improvement with a 17 & tabs. If you leave the boat in the water, and the bottom is not cleaned regular it will slow you down. If you trailer, I would not bottom paint. 
    Boat Name : 

Answers

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome, indeed the best boat forum on the web...
  • Options
    crackerjackcrackerjack Member Posts: 12
    Thanks for the info, greatly appreciated. FYI   B)B)B) clean hull appears to have never had any bottom paint. Will be in the water for the 2019 boating season, Lake Huron, Georgian Bay day cruises.
  • Options
    SeabuttSeabutt Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    Definitly put trim tabs on it, then try to sort out the pitch. Any boat over 20 ft. i think really help performance. Just a suggestion. 

• Options
    jhofmannjhofmann Member Posts: 430 ✭✭✭
    Trim tabs will help you get on plane faster, and allow you to level the boat with an uneven load. Then you can focus on getting the best prop for your needs. Remember the prop that comes from the factory is a compromise at best. Boaters who pull alot of toys and skiers wil want more low end grunt and are willing to sacrifice top end speed. Boaters who run large lakes and long rivers may want to get from A to B quickly and are willing give up power at the low end to achieve more top speed and better fuel mileage for the longer runs.
  • Options
    laureniac1laureniac1 Member Posts: 253 ✭✭✭
    Hill marine 4x4 props !! I have the same boat and these props are proven winners! Search the forum you will find many threads on Hill marine props ! It’s a game changer 
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    Sounds like you've got a Christmas list going! :) Trim tabs and Hill Marine props (which I have on my boat as well, can't beat them!).  Those two and a nice clean bottom in the spring and your boat will be like new!!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    I know Hill Marine props have been proven to enhance performance on the dual prop Bravo 3 outdrive, but I have not heard much about them on a single prop alpha outdrive like Crakerjack has.
  • Options
    A number of years ago there was a "variable pitch" on the market that used centrifical force along with cams and springs that would allow the prop to change pitch as the speed increased. We had one on a 18ft powerplay with a 300mag and an alpha drive that worked very well, but was around $700, and that was about 20 years ago. I haven't heard anything about it recently, so I an guessing it didn't catch on.
  • Options
    jhofmann said:
    I know Hill Marine props have been proven to enhance performance on the dual prop Bravo 3 outdrive, but I have not heard much about them on a single prop alpha outdrive like Crakerjack has.

Well, I've had my Hill Marine props for two years now & it's on a Bravo Two setup, single prop.  Made an absolutely amazing difference!  I have what Hill Marine calls the "big cow" props.

• Options
    Crackerjack thanks everyone for there input. Yes my Christmas list is getting long.👨‍🔧🕵️‍♂️👨‍🦳
  • Options
    Boat gets on back plane easily now and gets WOT. The fix was a full engine tune up, fine wire plugs, ignition leads, distributor cap + rotor and Interlux anti fouling bottom paint.
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    Thanks for following up.  Good to hear!
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,805 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Definitely a great follow up.  Nice to hear!