trim limit senders

rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
One of my last things on my list is to install the trim sendor/senders or what ever they are called. I bought news ones when I revamped the transom assembly. So, we have the new wires laying across the motor. On top of the motor you have two connectors for one unit and for the other, two connectors for the other up in another harness along the transom. Question is, which connections are for which sensor? Also how do I figure out which set of wires for the senders on the inside of the boat go to which sensor? Can I hook up a meter and get a resistance reading or something?

Comments

• reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Port is limit 
    Starboard  is the gauge
    Coming though the transom port to the trim pump and starboard the engine harness. Just my guess.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    as good as any....how can I test the sender wires to figure out which is which? Bad enough I have to guess at the connections inside, would sure like to know for sure which wires go to which sender for sure....how do you test them to see if they work properly? That way \I can identify them right?
  • IanIan Member Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭✭
    If I recall the trim limit is a switch and the sender is resistive. 

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• 212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I recall the Sierra brand are marked. One has S one has G on back of puck .
    They are marked as to what they are, just don't know if I put them back in the same order. I will look at the manual a bit more, least of my problems at the moment...
    Well as luck would have it, each are on the right side . Also, you can't connect the wires wrong- one has a male and female connector, the other has two female. Idiot proof, made just for me. And I need no confirmation. So, when I pulled the drive it was not down. So I need to get it down. The motor won't run. Si, I aligned the marks on the limit switch and position sender think the limit switch was locking it out but no go. Guess I will try unplugging it but don't think that is it...it was working fine...new sensors in the transom rebuild. I checked for power on the positive and the ground on the pump- filled the reservoir and nada. I was going to try and jump that solenoid and will read up on that...any ideas?
    So, trim cylinders...when I took the drive off I was trimmed up a little. Going back on the rams seem to not be at the same length anymore so I needed to firm up the trim- have one ram installed partially and thought it would be a simple hit of the switch and then them close, one with weight on it and one without..anyway not the point. The trim does not operate, it worked fine before. So, thinking maybe the limit switch was not is a good position I made sure the marks were aligned and on the position sensor also. Zip. I checked with my multimeter the power and ground at the pump- 13V so I'm good at least there. Since I have power there, does that rule out the switch at the helm? So, any suggestions? I was going to jump the solenoid to see if the pump would run, just not sure what that will tell me and do not want to do that without careful instruction. Don't need to burn up a pump and my electrical is very limited at best!

Also, looking around....see this one wire not hooked up to anything, don't see anywhere to plug it in...also, notice on my plug wires a plug in with nothing pluged into it, assume it is for something else. I really did not take any thing loose on the motor it self when I pulled it.....you know, other than the out drive fluid line and minor things like that... 
    Ok so update. Love this forum, you can make a totally stupid mistake and I can't here anyone laugh at me. Well maybe I can. Anyway, so I hooked up the ground and the power, have power but occurs to me there are no wires from the trim switch to the pump- I don't see anything else coming from the helm but there has to be right?
  • zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    You check  wires going to the pump with a 
    test light?
    ground it and poke one of the wires
    hit the switch either up or down and see if you get power to the pump
    check other wire
    three wires
    clock
    couner clock and ground 
    now check pump ground wire with bolt meter 
    basicalt put neg on post and pos on battery pos 
    The trim limit is just a swifch in the raise circuit - hits the limit and that’s it, it’s should have no bearing on not going down. You should hear a solenoid come in when you hit the switch, it’s driven by the 2 smaller gauge wires are the solenoid. If you hear them - or see voltage when you hit the switch, you have power there. The big mother cable is the pump +ve. To prove if the pump motor goes get a jumper cable or box from batter to the bug lug on the solenoid/pup assembly. Anticipate sparks plus the motor to operate, if it doesn’t motor may be bad. I had this before and got a new motor off eBay/Amazon.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

There has to be a plug in to the trim pump from the main harness to the engine room...where the f$%& is it?
    Ok guys you did not see my post above...there have to be wires from the switch at the helm to go to the pump- there is a plug in on the side of the pump asy and confirmed looking at a diagram - I can't find that wire/plug from the helm...
    I can’t look at mine so I’ll check the manual shortly.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Yours must be different as mine looks like above - no plug that I recall. Unless these go up to a plug and socket up at the motor top like you have to connect to the run from the helm. 

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

So how does the helm switch work? Did not realm understand what your saying...
    I found the dang thing ...if it were a snake....
    There would be wires in a harness running from there into the engine room. Where I can't say, I assume they go to the engine harness somewhere to connect up with the up limit switch and I expect another harness down to the pump motor. You said you have a plug on the side of the pump motor so there has to be something dangling around the engine to connect to.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

i found it...on one of the trim sender wires from the harness, the plug was covered up by the loom....duh
  • Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    In the immortal words of Chief Dan George, "Endeavor to persevere". That should be your new motto Ras! I applaud your efforts and I believe they will prove to be instructive to many on this site.
    So got the trim working- don't seem to be able to get Te position sender adjustment right- it was kind of jerky anyway but it is worse than it was. I'll keep working on the adjustment..
    I hope sp glass- I need to go back and edit it for when I was going the wrong way on something...which was often!
    I set mine up as per the manual and go nowhere. So last season adjusted out of water based on seeing the drives up or down and the needle movement.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

You'd think it pretty simple.....
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Last spring a dailed in the limit sensor to 2 1/4" that was easy. The sender for the gauge took alittle bit especially two drives to read the same. Got it so all the way down was just on the mark on both. Put the boat in the water and have to go all most the limit to get the needle to move. Hopefully this spring I do better.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
    Yea...that's what I was seeing...worked fine before. I replaced them because the wires were just falling apart.