Options

01 270 fv fuel smell

jmeyers278jmeyers278 Member Posts: 1
Ok I just got my boat in the water and besides a few minor problems I have a strong fuel smell coming from the cold air return in the aft birth. No fuel in either bilge
Post edited by jmeyers278 on

Comments

• Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard. Sorry about the gas issue but that's obviously a very serious concern. Check the vent lines, filters and fuel lines first. Always vent that bilge with a blower but those fumes can't be ignored.

I'd double check the bilge section right below the aft bunk where the shower sump is located in front of the fuel tank. The a/c cold air vent flows through there and I actually found my duct loose, so yours may be venting accumulated fumes from a tank pinhole or something else.

Don't mean to panic you but our '04 (and a few others) had a gas tank fail. Luckily for us it was just before we bought it. From what I understand there was an installation issue in some earlier boats. Ours was replaced by the previous owner but it was a pretty major deal.....although far less dramatic than trying to avoid the issue until it was a disaster.

Good luck and be super careful with that issue, Mike
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2013

Ditto on Tiki above.  Remember the gas fumes SINK so where you smell it and where it is can be very different.  I had fume issues off/on and finally found the fuel filter had a tiny leak and would leak onto the firewall insulation (yikes!).  Don't overlook all your connections and tubes, it takes very little gas to be smelled, even abrasion on fuel lines, etc.  A previous poster mentioned using a cotton glove to go over the fuel lines as they'll snag on rough/worn parts of rubber tubing.

Good luck and get to it before things go bad.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    BabyboomerBabyboomer Member Posts: 918 mod
    Has to be a broken fuel vent

Slip 866 Sunset Marina Byrdstown Tn