Options

HARD TOP vs. BIMINI TOP on Rinker 320EX

Hey All, I used to own a 2012 Rinker 310 Express Cruiser and had the Radar Arch with Bimini Camper Canvas Enclosure.  I am looking to get a new 320EX this year and am considering the Hard Top option since the Bimini Camper Canvas was such a pain in the you know what and I'm hearing the Hard Top Aft Enclosure is much easier.

Does anyone have images of how the Aft Enclosure actually attaches to the Hard Top?  Is it worth it to get the Hard Top?  What are the pros and cons. 

Thanks!!

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    Welcome to the forum!

Hardtop.  Your cockpit will stay 15 degrees cooler on hot days.  Everyone who comes on my boat always comments on how cool it is compared to canvas.  Also, I think the stereo sounds much better.  And, of course, no leaks.  I leave my carpets in the cockpit all season and they never get wet.

The enclosure curtains attach with tracks, same as your arch.
  • Options
    jbschmalz23jbschmalz23 Member Posts: 219 ✭✭✭
    I have a 2013 310EC. First hard top boat I’ve had. I won’t have another without the hard top option. So nice. The cockpit stays nice and dry. If I ever need to replace canvas, it’s just the surrounds that need replaced. Here’s a few pics of mine with and without the canvas zipped in. It only takes a few minutes to zip in the surrounds. Hope this helps  love the 310EC/ 320EX models! 
  • Options
    pistolepistole Member Posts: 158 ✭✭
    Lovely ! Possible to retrofit a hardtop to a bimini equipped boat ?
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod
    I'll add that the hardtop adds what feels like more "liveable" space.  What I mean is that even on the rainy days, you can sit up top, without any leaks, and use the space just as you would down below.  I definitely agree with LaRea about it being much cooler in the summer.  After having it, you wonder how you ever did without it.  (I'm waiting for Raybo to chime in here)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Here I am......lol It really is a matter of personal preference. I for one like the canvas. I go on just about every boat at the boat show and a couple of friends at the yacht club have hardtops. IMO being in/on a boat with a hardtop is like being in a car or in a cabin. I just dont like it. With the canvas you have an option of being "inside" or being open and outside. I really like having an option............... Just say'n
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    The downsides are that a hardtop adds cost, adds weight, and makes it impossible to cruise with the top down -- which some people really love. 

If you boat in a climate where summer heat isn't a big issue, there's maybe a little less incentive to get a hardtop.  Here in the mid-Atlantic area, it's yuuuge.
  • Options
    DirtythirtyDirtythirty Member Posts: 393 ✭✭✭
    My canvas comes off in 3 pieces. It's super easy and it opens up the back of the boat SO MUCH, it feels as though the top isn't there at all.  I have storage under the
     U-shaped seats in the back to store the folded canvas and windows without bending the windows too much.  The hardtop holds stereo speakers, lights and a fold down 32" TV. I would never own another boat without a hard top.  Apples and Oranges...I love wide open boats, but for spending a rainy weekend inside, there is nothing like a hardtop.

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’ve only owned Bimini top boats for the past 20 years, go with a hard top! I would love to get one in the future!!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    fraserjrfraserjr Member Posts: 16
    Does anyone know if you could retrofit a hard top onto a 310 with an arch. Any idea what Rinker would charge you for the hard top?
  • Options
    There is a whole lot to consider when switching from an arch to a hardtop. The structural integrity of the boat comes into play.  The hardtop weighs considerably more and must be supported on the sides and also the center.  When underway, and pounding through the water, there much "front to back" and "side to side" movement that the hardtop will endure if not properly secured.  That being said, on some 31's a hardtop was an option so that hardware may be available as a retrofit kit. A phone call to Rinker will serve that purpose well.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    As you can see, along with the fiberglass sides being secured in place (where your arch is fastened) there is also a pole (affectionately called the "stripper pole" in the center by the pass through, and also a stainless steel support arm, which attaches the starboard side of the hardtop support to the countertop behind the helm seat. The hardtop is no joke ...it's very heavy and can easily support your weight when working on the GPS/RADAR antenna or TV antenna.

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want a stripper pole...
  • Options
    The stripper pole will change your life.  ;-D

But seriously - @Dirtythirty is right.  Without all that bracing, it would definitely break off in heavy seas.  Even with the bracing, the hardtop still moves a fair amount.  
  • Options
    fraserjrfraserjr Member Posts: 16
    LaRea said:
    The stripper pole will change your life.  ;-D

But seriously - @Dirtythirty is right.  Without all that bracing, it would definitely break off in heavy seas.  Even with the bracing, the hardtop still moves a fair amount.  
    The 2010+ 310 has a hardtop option but not all the bracing from what I have seen. I guess I'm not sure would why you couldn't retrofit one to replace the arch?
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod
    No Stripper pole on the 400, but there is a serious brace from the side.  & if you ride in the back seat of the boat, it's really scary how much that hardtop moves.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    BeachBunnyBeachBunny Member Posts: 2
    Well we opted for the hard top!  After weighing all the pros and cons we couldn't be happier with it!  Although we're up in NY and it doesn't get as hot as the mid-Atlantic or even South Florida it is a perk that we love!  We have plenty of guests (as this boat is built to be a guest boat) and some enjoy the sun and some enjoy the shade, with this hard top it's a nice option for either one!  And although canvas in general is a pain in the you-know-what this does seem much easier since it doesn't have as many pieces - also the slide out is a great option so you don't have to break it down into as many pieces.   Loving our new Rinker and couldn't be happier!
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just awesome. If I had the cash for something like that I wouldn't even consider anything without a hard top. In fact if I ever do upgrade my favourites right now are all enclosed salon models with the rear opening doors. Which unfortunately Rinker doesn't have....but the way my budget is going lately I'll be in my good old Rinker for quite some time.
    Sorry, rambling a bit but Nice Boat!
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Beautiful boat @BeachBunny ! Congratulations!! I see you’re from St.James?? I live in Setauket, but keep the boat in Blue Point.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    jbschmalz23jbschmalz23 Member Posts: 219 ✭✭✭
    Awesome choice and awesome boat! You won’t be disappointed!!
  • Options
    oscar1oscar1 Member Posts: 739 ✭✭✭
    Anyone knows who make the hardtop for Rinker, do you have any information about the manufacture?
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes it is made by SEI. 

madebysei.com

About $10k for a hardtop for a 330/340/360 or 370ex (all the same part). 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keeping the boat for a while?.....get the hardtop, worth every penny!
  • Options
    You have to consider if you have to transport your boat or not also.The hard top cannot fold down.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Man this is getting old. @Michael T how in Gods name can you say "get the hardtop worth every penny"? I wouldn't get you 2 cents for a hard top. If that's what you like so be it but to tell someone else get it and its worth every penny is disingenuous. That's like me telling someone to buy a SeaRay over Rinker and its worth every penny. Like anything its a matter of personal opinion......... Just say'n  
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    What's getting old is you guys in the Frigid North telling boaters down here in the Boiling South how we should love to cruise with the top down! 

Nope.  Down here, you get that kind of weather for one week in the spring, and one week in the fall.  Elsewise, heat rules the boating season.  @oscar1 if you live south of the Mason Dixon line, get that hardtop.  Your cockpit will be 15-20 degrees cooler.  And you won't have to deal with leaking canvas.  
  • Options
    Ray.....are you having a bad day? I believe the topic was hard top v.s. bimini. My 'opinion' was (and remains) hard top hands down. Just for fun Ray, how many Rinkers have you owned with hard tops? Thought so.....I have owned two a 2013 EC 310 and a 2014 EC 360.....I believe that gives me the right to an opinion as I have owned TWO Rinkers with hard tops and 5 with just biminis. Just sayin'................
  • Options
    @aero3113.....my 2014 EC 360 was shipped from eastern Ontario to Chicago.....one h3ll of a long trip, by any standard, with the hard top up! 
  • Options
    Michael T said:
    @aero3113.....my 2014 EC 360 was shipped from eastern Ontario to Chicago.....one h3ll of a long trip, by any standard, with the hard top up! 
    I keep my 330 in my yard at the house. There’s no way I would be able to do that with a hard top. Between street lights, low electrical wires and trees along the way.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    @LaRea and @Michael T I guess you guys are having a hard time reading. I never said you should not get a hard top or you should get a canvas. MT sorry bro but I think you telling me how many hardtops I have owned is a little arrogant. Who really gives a ratsa$$ how many you owned. Fact of the matter is I have been around hardtops for many years and LaRea so what we dont get as "hot" as you guys. We just went through a stretch that was almost 100* with over 80% humidity. It $ucked to be honest but while out on the boat it was more than comfortable. OK getting off line here, point is and like I have been saying all along IT'S A MATTER OF PERSONAL PREFERENCE!!!!! plain and simple............... Just say'n  
  • Options
    Fair enough, we're all entitled to our own bad opinions!   :D  Mine is that I like hardtops, but I also like obnoxious jazz fusion music from the 70's, so my judgment is questionable.