Options

Buoy reminders on chartplotter

LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
Most boaters know "red right returning."  As a visual aid, some captains use a manual device like the one shown below ... rotate it so the red buoy is on the correct side depending on your situation.  It made me wonder:  do any chartplotters offer this function digitally?

Any chartplotter capable of auto-routing should be able to do this easily.  If I'm navigating a river or narrow inlet, it could deduce my course relative to the channel, and draw reference buoys in the top corners of the display.  There might be rare times when the computer can't figure it out, but I think it would usually be pretty clear.  

I'm sure the lawyers would make them write "ADVISORY" or something like that.

Is anybody doing this? 

Comments

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @LaRea I'm not aware of any plotter manufacturers that have this as an option "per se" as in a separate indicator on the screen. But my Navionics chip/map on my Humminbird clearly shows buoy locations and recommended channel as a clear line. If in unfamiliar waters with buoys I'll run in split screen mode with one side zoomed right in to show my location in relation to the buoys and the channel, and the other side zoomed out to show the bigger picture. A quick glance now and again reminds me which side of the buoys I should be on.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    That would be an awesome idea.... red/green marks in the lower left/right corners of the chart plotter that switch positions respectively..... 
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    Not sure I follow but where I am the buoys are shown on the chart correctly; if I turn around I can see which are on what side. I like the idea of the little reminder do-dad on the dash - the Admiral does ask me occasionally - I glance down often to check the color of the one I can see in the distance 

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    Right -- a good captain uses multiple tools to monitor position relative to ATONs.  The idea of the plastic doo-dad is to have a quick-look reminder for yet another layer of safety.

But the plastic has two flaws.  You have to remember to set it each time the buoy convention changes.  And, to set it, you have to actually know the buoy convention (which isn't always obvious).   

I was just thinking it would be easy for manufacturers to add.  (Raymarine, Garmin, if you're reading this -- you're welcome.  I want a discount on my next purchase.)
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    Ahh, now I understand what you are asking and yes, a good idea.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/