Options

Winterize water systems in 2002 342

cls10105cls10105 Member Posts: 352 ✭✭
Hey guys me again I need help with winterize the water systems and ac, how to drain and where things are. I will get to know more about the boat during the winter and next year just took so long to get it kinda in a rush for everything...I feel like a bum
cruising on 6. tw0s

Comments

• Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    My opinion - get someone to do it. Learn it next year when you have time and less to worry about. You don't want to rush and overlook something and it's worth having someone do this for you. You have to do your engines too remember.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For the fresh water system, run the fresh water tank dry. Then dump 5 gallons of pink antifreeze into the tank, then pump thru to each sink and shower until pink comes out. When you do your shower, the pink will winterize you shower sump. Be sure your hot water tank is bypassed, or you will need an additional 6 gallons of antifreeze.

Where are you located?
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Chattanooga Tennessee 
    cruising on 6. tw0s
  • Options
    How do i bypass the water heater?
    cruising on 6. tw0s
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pull the two hoses and join them together with a pipe nipple. Should be 1/2" I beleive.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not my tank, but here is how it can be done.

2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Super easy to winterize all water systems yourself. Agree with the comment above to put antifreeze in the fresh water tank, I use 4 gallons, and then pump it through all sinks and showers along with the ice maker to winterize. For the A/C I pull the thru hull hose, then turn on the ac and put a funnel in the hose and dump pink stuff in to the funnel until the admiral sees full pink out the discharge. Similar on the toilet, pull the thru hull and use a funnel to pump a full gallon through, the admiral can flush the toilet while you pour in to the funnel. Don’t forget to winterize your aft shower. For the ice maker, I listen the larger input tube at the valve and let pink dribble through. Then I pull the small line from the valve and blow air with my mouth through that to empty it. The very first thing you do before the above is drain the hot water heater from the spigot on it and then bypass it. No pink stuff in the heater, it just gets drained. Bypass is easy, take 2 feet of garden hose and two hose clamps and connect both the input tube and the output tube together and leave it that way while you run pink through all the faucets and showers. Takes me an hour at the most to do all of this, saves a ton of $$$$
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,560 mod
    Didn't read all the posts, but quick and easy for water.  First, run until dry in the water tank as much as possible.  Connect an air compressor at the city water inlet and blow all water out.  Disconnect water between pump and tank and insert into a pink gallon, run pump thru everything.  It is that simple.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To drain the hot water tank you must open the blow off valve to let air in and water out. In the spring make sure it is purged off air before you turn it on.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To drain the hot water tank you must open the blow off valve to let air in and water out. In the spring make sure it is purged off air before you turn it on.
    Agree this is one way to do it, but when I disconnect my input tube and output tubes to connect them this seems to have the same effect as the water comes pouring out the spigot, are you not disconnecting and using valves like in Greg’s photo?
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Thanks guys, I really appreciate it
    cruising on 6. tw0s
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not my tank, but here is how it can be done.

A much more elegant solution. Also would be handy if you ever spring a leak in the hot water tank while out on a trip.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)