Power Steering Fluid

kordokordo Member Posts: 229 ✭✭
Anyone using power steering fluid other than what Mercruiser recommends?  Seems to me that the power steering fluid used in cars and trucks survives in just as harsh an environment as a boat, especially considering cars and trucks are used in the winter.  Thanks.   

Comments

• reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I would agree it is a GM pump so personally I would just use what ever I had. But I have never had add any unless there is a problem.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    well, that is something I never thought about.  I always use what Mercury suggests, but for the power steering I just used standard power steering fluid (never thought it made much difference being on a boat compared to a car, it's still the same function).  Kind of funny after almost 20 years of boating, that is not something that ever came up.  So, I don't think you'll have any problem using standard steering fluid that is used in a car.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• IanIan Member Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭✭
    I used regular regular fluid when I fixed my port pump and refilled. Not that it actually does anything but does pump itself around. 

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• bella-vitabella-vita Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    I used transmission fluid
    2002 Rinker FV 342
  • jhofmannjhofmann Member Posts: 430 ✭✭✭
    On a boat still under warranty you might want to use factory recomended fluid, but after that I don't see an issue. You shouldn.t need to add any unless there is a leak, and by the time it would need flushing, I'm sure the warranty would be long expired.
  • pistolepistole Member Posts: 158 ✭✭
    any dang transmission fluid will do 
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's what the local marina told me they used and sold me...
  • 212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    in some applications, some of those detergents either immerse or disperse water.  they are two very different functions and can make a impact.  
    as it is, though, the system is totally sealed so i'm wondering if this makes any difference whatsoever in this subject.  it sure can make a difference in engine oil- as the better oil to use for vehicles immerses it (and it burns off really quick) while oil for 'classic/antique' cars usually disperses it... boats that sit a lot on or near the water can benefit from dispersing, while those that are used a lot can benefit from immersing.  

not to degenerate into yet another oil debate, it is better to just follow the recommendations and walk away- it's supposed to be a 'slick' conversation, but it's not... it's a tacky one. 
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @kordo are you asking because you are looking for cheaper alternatives?
  • kordokordo Member Posts: 229 ✭✭
    LaRea, more theoretical than concern about the cost, but if there is no difference, then why pay more.  Plus sometimes the Mercruiser brand is hard to find on short notice.  Thanks.
  • jhofmannjhofmann Member Posts: 430 ✭✭✭
    If you have to keep adding fluid on short notice, you have other issues.
    Not adding fluid on short notice.  No leaks.  Just a question.
    Good topic.  My annual bill for PS fluid isn't much, but if I can spend $6 instead of $21 ... well, that's $15 I could spend on fuel or Scotch.  
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And very good to know ..was skeptical when the marina told/sold me some...
    Quicksilver is $20 at West Marine, or $22 for synthetic. 
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    Alswagg said:
    Wow, we change power steering oil every other year. Same time as when we change engine oil.  Power steering oil 7.50 qt.  We sell transmission oil 7.50 qt.   Engine oil full synthetic 7.00 qt.  
    You change engine oil every other year? I do mine every year. I am reading something wrong here???
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
    Actually, I'm surprised in changing power steering fluid every other year.  It probably states in the manual to do something like that, but I'd be surprised if many ever do it that often. 

Al, do actually flush it every other year, or just dump what's in the pump out and put new in?

• pistolepistole Member Posts: 158 ✭✭
    Don't they just leak out
  • F1100F1100 Member Posts: 292 ✭✭✭
    Who cares what fluid you put in your PS. You can use transmission, PS, or hydraulic fluid as well.

Its not going to make a hoot of a difference in the PS pump. or rack.
    1993 300 FIESTA VEE TWIN 5.7L ALPHA GEN 2
    Thanks Al.  I will add that to my yearly (for every other year) maintenance list.  Definitely easy enough to use my oil pump to draw it right out and just put new in.

Yes, thanks Al.  Another good tip.  Much appreciated.
    pistole said:
    Don't they just leak out
    I would hope not. If they do you have a problem. And a soon to fail power steering pump.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

• YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    icoultha said:
    I used regular regular fluid when I fixed my port pump and refilled. Not that it actually does anything but does pump itself around. 
    My question of the day - why does the port motor have a PS pump?  Why not just a dummy pulley in its place?
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
    That's the question I asked back then - I theorized they just order "an engine" so not to have to worry about if a single only or which side and if it came with or without, just like they program them the same CityID and that needs to be changed for VV.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

• reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yup dont think you can buy a motor from merc with out the pump.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct