Considering a Rinker 280EC

2»

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dont buy a boat, too much work!
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    @Dude_Himself my old girl had carbs and might have weighed a bit more.  Looks like they've done a great job making the 280 more gas efficient.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    MeltomMeltom Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    Quick update : going to look at a 2008 260 EC this week. The price is right, but we’ll see if it’s too good to be true. 
  • Options
    04FV270riverrat04FV270riverrat Member Posts: 268 ✭✭✭
    Meltom said:
    Quick update : going to look at a 2008 260 EC this week. The price is right, but we’ll see if it’s too good to be true. 
    You went down in size! 
  • Options
    Lol. Not there yet on size. I went to check out the 260 boat today. Some miscommunication between the guys in the dealer's shop and the rep I was dealing with lead to some disappointment. The one for sale was not in the indoor storage facility but shrink wrapped outside. No hatch either. On the positive side, the bottom and outdrive are nice and clean  ;)
    One thing stood out...no windlass.  Have any of you guys had an aftermarket on installed ?
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The boat is prewired for a windlass. The Lwemar 700 is the replacement to the Horizon 600 that was put in at the factory.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    The boat is prewired for a windlass. The Lwemar 700 is the replacement to the Horizon 600 that was put in at the factory.
    Thanks for the note. That is certainly helpful. I'm about to text the main sales guy for more info. The boat is on consignment and he has to get more info from the owner. Still waiting to see the other 280 that's in storage locally. It's getting detailed first as it was pretty beat-up. 
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It may not sound like much but there is quite a bit of difference in space and beam between a 260 and 280. But by all means, look at it some more. Might be all you need for a decent price. That missing windlass will set you back about $600-700 USD.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    I hear ya @Willhound. A good friend who had a few boats on Simcoe as well gave me the same advice. I'm going to go to the boat show in Toronto this week with my wife to revisit the size question. Original boat we both loved was the Monterey 270 we saw there last year. It seemed adequate with the 8'6'' beam but next size up was much roomier. We will probably average 4 adults on the boat away from the dock. 
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Meltom, if you are going to the Toronto show, go one the 270EX and the 290EX. The 270EX is the same boat as the 260EC. Other than options, they haven't changed the boat layout at all. The 290EX has a better layout verses the 280EC, but the cabin is pretty much identical. That is where you will notice the difference. Both boats are fine with 4 adults on board. Most of the time when the admiral and I are out, we have another couple that has a son that is the same age as our daughter. So we have 4 adults and two toddlers. The 280 is a great boat for that size group. Having 6 adults isn't all that bad either.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Hey guys...update: Got a conditional offer in on the 2008 260. Hopefully it's up to par once in the water. Comes with the windlass and trailer. According to the dealer the owner says the engine is in the 200-250 hour range. Walked through the shrink wrap and it looks pretty sweet. Maybe a little mildew on the vinyl on the aft bench seat. Any good/safe cleaners recommended ?
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    303 Aerospace vinyl cleaner is a good place to start.  If that doesn't work and you need to get more aggressive, try Home Armor mildew remover (from Home Depot among others).  Either way, follow with 303 Aerospace protectant.  Good luck with the buy - we're rooting for you!
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    Conditional on a survey right?
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod
    Good luck Meltom.  I agree exactly with LaRea.  If it still doesn't come off, you can try a magic eraser, but just note that isn't something you'd want to continuously use because it does have some abrasive in it.  

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    skennelly said:
    Conditional on a survey right?
    @Meltom, absolutely do this. It'll set you back $4 to 500 CDN but an absolute must. If its a firm cash offer conditional on survey then quite often the sellers side migjt split it with you. I think you mentioned sea trial and survey in a previous post. Don't let them try and away you away from that. 
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    Thanks guys.  I have 4 conditions: Sea trial, survey, road trial on trailer and satisfactory account of engine hours as there was no power available to the boat. The dealer is mostly a small fishing boat operation and the Rinker is on consignment. The owner is not easily accessible this time of year. 
    Thanks for the notes on the cleaners. If this goes through I know I will have tons of other questions for the panel. 
  • Options
    Dont do it man!! LOL
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    @meltom, meet our resident Eeyore, @Handymans342.  
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes the world looks better up side down I mean in a RV
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Sorry, I am a recovering boataholic
  • Options
    Ah man, I can see Nancy Reagan saying "just say no" (to boats).  :D
  • Options
    What I am trying to impress on people when they buy a boat is that they need to know exactly what they are getting into, have a cash cushion in the bank and have the financial means to maintain the boat .
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is easy for people that come onto some extra cash.or easy credit. and buy a boat, sports car, camper, motorcycle, toy's. Then try and figure out where to put them and how to maintain. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I worked up to mine...got a good price but assumed I'd have some catching up to do on some stuff....something was wrong with about everything but nothing $$$ until the pull the motor ordeal. Now if I would have paid some one to work through the issues then it would have run into some money. I did have someone do the coupler (1300) and a prop shaft seal (300) . Definitely more than I figured getting into but that can happen with a car, a house and yes even an RV!
  • Options
  • Options
    Hey all,  Sea trial, survey all done on the 08 260. Hoping to pick it up next week. Going to get a tune up and maybe add some LED transom lights before she gets wet for the July long weekend. Canvas and glass next. Will post up some pics when it's officially mine.
    Stoked!
  • Options
    jbschmalz23jbschmalz23 Member Posts: 219 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Congrats!! The 260 is an awesome boat!!
    Post edited by jbschmalz23 on
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod
    Congrats!! The 280 is an awesome boat!!

260 is awesome too! :)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options