Options

Cockpit AC on a 280EC

Anyone with a 260-280EC retrofit cockpit vents off the HVAC system? I'm thinking of ways to be on the water more, and this would go far on hot days with the kids that overheat easily but can't safely get in the water due to current.

When I installed/swapped the AC I'm pretty sure there was room to run an additional duct up to the cockpit, but the rest of the considerations (like sealing it so AC isn't wasted and bugs/water don't get in) could be a challenge I bet.

Ideas?

Comments

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    First off I assume you have a genny to run the A/C.

Running duct work in a boat is a serious PIA.  And there is only so much air flow.  I would think that you'd want some way to switch the main flow of air off down below when you want to cool the cockpit.  Given the area of the cockpit you'd likely need all the capacity your A/C unit has to make a difference. Also, like home units, you'd need some kind of return flow of air.

Other than putting up your canvas I'm not sure how well you can seal the cockpit.  I think you'd need the canvas all up and closed for the cool air to stay where you want it, but imagine how long it takes your car/truck to cool down on a hot day when the A/C goes on and multiply that by the difference in area of your vehicle interior and your cockpit area.

I think it's a nice idea, but not sure you'd be able to do it well.

One possible idea that comes to mine (again assuming a genny) is a free standing room A/C like https://www.walmart.com/ip/BLACK-DECKER-14-000-BTU-Portable-Air-Conditioner-with-Remote-Control-White/135771370?athcpid=135771370&athpgid=athenaItemPage&athcgid=null&athznid=PWVUB&athieid=v0&athstid=CS020&athguid=a3a21811-bb9-167a79be15873d&athena=true

Then there is no duct work etc.  

Just my $0.02

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    Running an additional hose into the cockpit will not be enough to cool off the cockpit (with isinglass up).  The cockpit will have the greenhouse effect and just get hotter.  I know even the 420s, that have an additional unit installed in the cockpit, cannot keep it cool during the day (just when the sun goes down).  I have one small vent running into the cockpit that feels nice on my feet up there but that is about it.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    jbschmalz23jbschmalz23 Member Posts: 219 ✭✭✭
    I’ve always thought that would be a nice idea as well. A lot of the larger boats at the Miami show had this option. I kind of wondered if a separate unit would fit under the helm seat. I know in my 310 there’s a lot of unused space there. I think it’s the same in the 280. I just don’t know if you could use the same water intake or maybe just be able to run one at a time or whatever? 
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    I have two heating/cooling units and they both use the same intake. It may depend a little on the location of the two, but I have one in the aft/mid cabin and other under v-berth, with intake somewhat between them.  I had thought about one under the port side seat in cockpit, but just wasn't sure it was worth the effort.  For me it was probably more for the heating than trying to use AC (cause, as I said the cooling is very tough when the sun is out beating thru the isinglass).  But a small portable heater works really great for the cockpit.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I think to be practical you'd need a hard top and a roof mounted unit like RVs have.  

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    If anyone knows how to find/fit a hardtop like the 340's have on my 280 I'd love it. I'm sitting out front right now with my buddy Scott - he's sewing a boat cover for me (as I do his IT work).

RE: Cockpit AC: I'm not looking to cool the enclosure, just have cold air blowing in one spot at the helm to help keep me cooler (and the kids when they overheat). Like running the AC with the top down in a convertible.
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You must have money to burn away!!! LOL
  • Options
    If I did I wouldn't be trading work for a cover.

I could probably make a fiberglass top - I've worked with it before, but it would be easier to find a junked boat and get the hardtop from that. Something with nice lines is 10x harder to construct.
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Technically, I'd say yes it is possible, but you'd have to address a few concerns. The air flow will be diminished as you are now trying to cool a volume probably 4x the design volume (cabin only).

With the cockpit, you will be competing with radiation coming in via the eisinglass. That will be a MUCH bigger load than what comes in via the portals.

In the end, of course it will be a bit cooler in the cockpit, but without going through some serious math, it's hard to say how much cooler it will be.  The risk is you do all that work, and in the end you can only reduce the temperature by 2 degrees. 

To get past this speculation, perhaps you can contain the aircon supplier Marine Air? They might be able to do some quick math for you.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    It would only be worth it at night so the kids could sleep in the cabin area
  • Options
    pistolepistole Member Posts: 158 ✭✭
    x2 on the free-standing home air-con units. Some of them are very powerful
  • Options
    Those home units are good for a house but I wouldnt use one on a Boat. How Do you exhaust the hot air outlet? Where does the condensate drain? Plus that's a large power draw as well
  • Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    I had one on my 280 I sold. I invested into a large Swimplatform and not ac.

i looked all winter and found a smallest 8000btu portable I could.
    it was a perfect fit in my galley.
    it sat on the counter and drained via a small extension hose into the sink.

exhaust was vented via the hatch right over the galley.
    i didn’t use the Rigid exhaust hose but bought industrial 6 inch flex and cut it to perfect size.
    i had a large reusable zip tie where it connected to the unit.
    my boat had hatch screens with little tabs to hold it place.
    so I measured the thickness made a plate with a hole in the middle. That portion of the hose was permanent attached to the plate. Plate itself used oem tabs to keep itself in place.
    it cooler my cabin to a freezer temp lol and was few min to setup.
    ac unit stayed in the mid cabin
    hose and plate was stored under the v Berth

now to use any unit to coolant large cockpit area enclosed or open won’t work. Once you have sun and humidity those units don’t work. Well actually none of the units work.

my buddies hard too ray has several vents and it doesn’t do anything lol
    it would help keep the cockpit warmer during early spring or fall.

only way to cool is to have a enclosed salon.
  • Options
    Just to point out again: boat currently has built-in Kohler generator, MarinAire 7k BTU AC, and the cabin can be made ice-cold. I'm thinking of tapping into that AC to have 1-2 vents in the cockpit to blow cold air across me while driving.
  • Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    I have installed dozen ac units in boats and replaced 
    8k won’t have enough juice
    12k maybe will blow something out 
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    $90 at your local big-box hardware store will get you a 600 CFM blower fan to blow that ice-cold air from the cabin into the cockpit.  
  • Options
    Solution: wear a bathing kilt and direct cold air up from below. Thanks!
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    @Dude_Himself that comment made my day!