Options

Waste odor on 342 Rinker Fiesta Vee

I have a terrible waste smell coming out of the outside vent everytime we flush the toilet on my 342 Fiesta. I replaced the waste deck fill thinking that was the problem, however the smell seems to be getting worse. Anyone has any answers or solutions?

Also, I cannot pump out the waste at the pumping station, even after I flush the toilet while trying to pump out the waste. Again any advice?

Thanks,

Dakota Skipper

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Add a Big Orange filter to your vent. I did on my 342, odor gone.

2. If you cannot pump out, your system is clogged. You can try adding ice cubes in the tank via the pumpout fitting and go for a ride to loosen it up. Another thread on here mentions to use 'noflex digester' [sp] to help.

I have pics on installing the BO on my 342. Be a week before I can post them though.

www.bigorangefilter.com

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,460 admin
    Maybe you have a "Y" valve and its in the "pump" position. Lift engine hatch and look where the waste hose is and see if it has a valve. Good luck and keep us posted...
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    gslprogslpro Member Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2013

Absolutely add the Big Orange Filter.  Odor gone.

As to why you can't pump out, That is strange.  Nothing comes out?  If you are pumping air out while flushing (the odor you are smelling) than stuff is going in, and it is not vacuum locked, so I would have to guess that it is a mechanical clog in the pump out hose itself.  You may have to get a stiff hose of smaller diameter and plunge the hose all the way to the bottom of the tank.  The next thing would be a snake of sorts.
    Gary and Diane
    290 FV Nauti Bonnie
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,563 mod

I'd start with what pro said and try putting a stiff hose down to plunge it, or syphon a "treat" out (obviously not by using your mouth).  It is definitely either a clogged pump hose or vent hose. I'd say the pump out hose though cause you are smelling it.

As far as the smell, either the Big Orange route or making your own (I do the latter, but either will work).

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    WeberWeber Member Posts: 249 ✭✭✭
    Anyone havea link to the big orange?
    Sin or Swim - Rinker 312
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Www.bigorangefilter.com

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2013
    Hey DS, welcome to the forum. I made a tank vent filter with 1 1/4" pvc that works like magic for about $20 in an 1hr but you have to accumulate a few parts. Carbon fish tank filter pelletts were the odd part but redily available as is the process found on a Google search if you want to try. I've actually given a few away and they were very well recieved especially by the vessels Admiral who is usually pretty tired of trying to explain the odd whiff.

I'll change the pelletts every season for more wonderful goodness coming from that otherwise wretched vent. :)  I reluctantly admit that I hesitantly took a whiff at the vent after putting it on for the first time, not too sure if I'd barff right on the spot but to my amazement a carbon filter completely removes the most horrible stench.

Here's a pic one often sold on the net, and how to refurbish it for pennies.

And it's just spiced into the vent at a bit of an angle or with a water by-pass like the one below

2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl