Options

2005 Rinker 320 EC: Is my Transom high moisture readings due to swim platform bolts?

Hello, you guys were very helpful in my last discussion.  I have high moisture readings between my twin outdrives and where the bolts that attaches the swim platform.  

Water was entering through those bolts (swim platform). I have removed the swim platform and letting the holes dry out during the winter months before I re-bed the bolts and add backing plates. The holes are drying slowly but they are close to acceptable readings now.  This is going well.  Also, I have removed the brass drain plug to re-bed.  

I want to ensure the transom does not have another area that is leaking before spring launch.

I suspect there is something else wrong because my intuition is that those bolts were not the only thing that was feeding the area between the outdrives.

During the summer, there wasn't any direct leaking from bellows or thru hull fittings. 

The only time water was in bilge was after a rain.  I still suspect something else that is leaking water since the moisture levels are not going down for the transom. I am comparing it to the swim platform readings.

I am paranoid, as there is always something else contributing to my problems.  Boat repair is not easy for me.

I have read a few posts about high spots on the transom inner bracket.  I am hiring a reputable company to check my engine alignments in the spring. 

Here are my questions:

When they have the outdrives off, what else should I ask them to look for as far as water in transom? 

Should I be paranoid about the high moisture readings not going down?  From what I know you cant fully dry out a Transom, but shouldn't the moisture levels go down a bit when you are in heated storage (out of water).

What else can I do to reduce the moisture levels between the outdrives?

Thanks ahead of time for your input.

Comments

• Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    I'd say it depends on the saturation level.  What does the area sound like if you do the old hammer test?  Is it a thud sound or a nice knock?  If you shake the drives do you see any flex in the transom?
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    mipandmipand Member Posts: 13
    The percussion tests are good knocks, and passed a survey in spring as serviceable. Recommendation was to remove all screws and re-bed (especially the swim platform).  No flex of transom.
    Since the boat is out of water, I want to do everything within reason, before spring launch to correct it. I may be over thinking this. 
    I was thinking of taking coring samples where it is high levels,  letting those holes dry out and repairing the holes. I am very cautious on doing this as I haven’t read too many posts of people taking coring samples to dry it out.
  • Options
    NickWightNickWight Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    Hi mipand.
    Not sure if this information will be of any use to you, but we've had serious problems with water leaks into the engine bay of our 2008 Rinker 280ec. We think that we've now traced and fixed all of them and in no particular order they were:

1/. Fixing bolts and general sealing around radar arch.
    2/. Pop-up cleats on the swim platform.
    3/. Cup holders either side of the swim platform seat.
    4/. "Bump strip" that fits around the swim platform.

The last three in particular caused water to run through the swim platform void and down the inside of the transom and this resulted in thousands of pounds worth of damage to both the engine itself and various ancillaries!!

Your high moisture readings may have nothing to do with any of this, but they are simple to check and might just be worth doing anyway.

Nick.
  • Options
    NickWightNickWight Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    OOPS! I forgot to mention that we too had problems with the swim ladder bolts leaking and they are a true nightmare to access and replace!!
  • Options
    pistolepistole Member Posts: 158 ✭✭
    Swim ladder are bolted to the swim platform. Nothing to do with the transom