Options

Boat Financing Possibilities

tonystoytonystoy Member Posts: 95 ✭✭✭
My history...used to own a 2007 280EC. Had to sell it 3 years ago due to getting a divorce. I have missed it ever since and looking at getting back into boating now. I love this forum and am hoping to get some good info from you guys about this.
I will be looking at financing a boat in the years of 2006-2008. The Rinker 320 is a possibility, but so are the Se* Ra* 300, Four Winns 318 and Chapparal 310. I’m curious to know what loan companies are out there that will finance a boat that is 11-13 years old. 
Thanks in advance for your help

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are plenty of companies that will finance boats up to 20 years old. US bank is one. But don't buy a boat. Its like getting married again. Dont do it!!  Consider another cheaper hobby. Seriously
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,554 mod
    Try US Bank.  The web site mentions 48-month loans, but they do longer terms including 15-year loans for larger boats.  
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Handy, thought you'd be busy hanging out in the RV forums! Good to see you lurking a bit and hope all is well....
  • Options
    Handy, that is funny! Marriage will never happen for me again! But you know the saying “the two best days of owning a boat is the day you buy it and the day you sell it”… That is not true for me. It is something about being on the water that I love.
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    State farm
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    tonystoy said:
    Handy, that is funny! Marriage will never happen for me again! But you know the saying “the two best days of owning a boat is the day you buy it and the day you sell it”… That is not true for me. It is something about being on the water that I love.
    Get a kayak or a paddle board
  • Options
    rasbury said:
    Handy, thought you'd be busy hanging out in the RV forums! Good to see you lurking a bit and hope all is well....
    Heading to the RV tonight. For the long weekend where I wont have to do nothing!!!! LOL
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My boat loan is through M&T Bank out of Buffalo. I got the loan through a broker on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also have M&T bank and CT does not title boats so somethings states are harder then others. 

2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭
    we used our local credit union
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe a little different in the US, but in Canada just about any financial institution (chartered bank, credit union, finance company) will let out a "toy" loan for R'v's, boats, snowmobiles etc. if your credit rating is good enough. But my point was going to be that a lot of people use a personal line of credit, either secured or not, because the rates are usually a lot better and re-payment terms are wide open rather than fixed like a mortgage.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    boatman37boatman37 Member Posts: 798 ✭✭✭
    We financed our first boat through Lightstream (a division of SunTrust). They only go to 7 years and is a 'good faith' loan, meaning no collateral. You receive the boat title and payments are automatically withdrawn from your account. I applied and had the funds the next day.

We financed our current boat through Essex Credit (Bank of the West). Pretty smooth transaction but was held up due to seller issues and trying to schedule the surveyor but Essex was great to deal with. I got 15 years on our 2006 at about 7% but plan to pay it off in under 5.

Of all places I called 6.5 to 7% was the norm. I called about 4 or 5 credit unions and they were either over 10% or would not do boat loans.
  • Options
    diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    shawnmjr said:
    trip_n said:
    we used our local credit union
    X2 on local credit union 
    X3 on local credit union. 
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    I'll agree on local credit union as well.  & welcome to the forum!  Definitely a great bunch of people on here (even Handy :) )

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Thanks for all of your comments so far guys! I looked up some rates online for a few local credit unions...they are in the 5.5-6.5% range, which I think is pretty good.?. I’ll be making some phone calls to them this week. I’ve never joined a credit union, do you have to be a member or are there certain fees?
  • Options
    I work for a credit union. You get a loan you are automatically a member and no fees
  • Options
    bella-vitabella-vita Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    Used my credit union,they made me document the boat not a big deal 
    2002 Rinker FV 342
  • Options
    So I started making calls to credit unions. Not too much luck. The ones that I can join either have loan terms no longer than 4 years (I was hoping for 7-10) or really high interest rates (7-8%). Should I be expecting that high of a rate? When I bought my 280, my rate was high 4’s or low 5’s. 
    State Farm would not take a loan out for a boat older than 10 years.
  • Options
    04FV270riverrat04FV270riverrat Member Posts: 268 ✭✭✭
    My credit union wouldn’t go longer than 5 years on my 04. We had 2 home loans and 2 vehicle loans and we bank there. I had to go through the broker and wound up with MB Financial I believe.
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    There are a number of credit unions around here that don't have membership restrictions and have normally offered 3.99% for boat loans new and used.  Not sure if there is a location requirement but maybe look at LakeTrust CU and Michigan First CU.  When we bought the 342, we used LakeTrust and got a 10 year term.  Michigan First was doing used boat re-fi at 3.99% with flexible terms a few years ago.  

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    Hmmm I did a state farm loan on my 2002...at the time it was 14 years old.  But it was only a 2 year loan.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    My credit union is currently 5.75 for 144 months. I do not see an age restriction for the boat. 
  • Options
    boatman37boatman37 Member Posts: 798 ✭✭✭
    I called 4 or 5 local credit unions when we bought our Crownline a few months ago and most would not do boat loans or if they did it was about 12% interest and 5 year max term. But the places that would loan reasonably were all around 6-7%. That was the lowest rates I could find and I called about 20 places
  • Options
    So @jbschmalz23 gave me the info of a loan broker. She seemed to be very knowledgeable and has access to over 20 national lenders. It seems as though the best rates are still 6.25-6.75% right now. But she said that I could have a term of up to 15 years with no pre payment penalty. Now all I have to do is find a boat!?!? That’s the hard part 🤪

• Options
    All interest rates on all loans have gone up over the last year or so
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, rates are going up...they have to with the economy we have right now...so when it crashes they can bring back the 0% to get it going again. I think your finding the same rates we did when we bought our 4 years ago....went through a broker also with no luck at the conventional banks. Boats will start coming out of the woodwork I'm sure....I'd guess most listings dropped off for winter as you can't sell a boat in storage.....just be patient and wait for the right deal and boat. Heck, go back and look at my thread on my boat exploit purchase...the more boats you look at the more you will learn. You sound kind of like me then- limited boating knowledge. Enough to get me in trouble. And while I did expect to have to fix some stuff, I probably could have made a better deal knowing what I know today.
  • Options
    DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    tonystoy said:
    So @jbschmalz23 gave me the info of a loan broker. She seemed to be very knowledgeable and has access to over 20 national lenders. It seems as though the best rates are still 6.25-6.75% right now. But she said that I could have a term of up to 15 years with no pre payment penalty. Now all I have to do is find a boat!?!? That’s the hard part 🤪

Was going to tell you to find a boat broker or local marina. They usually have a pool of banks that they use. If you get close to the 100K mark, most will want you to put down 20% and will need a survey. As an FYI....most Credit Unions do not have 15-20 year terms for boats, you have to use a bank instead.
    No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
  • Options
    Here is a no brainer. Dont buy a boat and save a lot of money unless you are rich like @raybo3 and can afford major repairs and an ex wife. Bahahahahahahaha
  • Options
    trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭
    that sounds like the @handymans342=when i signed up
  • Options
    Thanks trip. See you sooner