Options

Stuff in the Storage Yard - Not a Rinker in sight

WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
With apologies, this is just a totally random post for fun, no Rinker's, but a few boats. Was at a local storage yard with a friend today and while he did his thing I wandered around. Coincidentally, the same yard I used to store my old runabout at for winter.
Here's some kind of go fast beast that somebody brought in from Texas (according to the trailer plates). Some kind of funky diamond plate material on the drives.

This old stick boat hasn't moved from this spot since I had my old boat stored near it 3 years ago. At about $800 a year for storage, I don't think it's even worth that.

An old Chris Craft that has also seen better days, but has some potential.....if you wanted to put the time and bucks into it.

For the car guys, a trio of old Dodge's. Two Challengers and I think a Satellite on the right, but I stand to be corrected. These also haven't moved in about 5 years.

About a '69 Pontiac Beaumont. These were a Pontiac version of the Chevrolet Chevelle that were made in Canada and never sold directly in the US, so highly sought after by Pontiac guys.
So there you go, just a bunch of rambling crap on a snowy Sunday afternoon at the end of the year.
Cheers!
"Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is that white stuff??
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Considering it's the end of December, that's just a heavy frost!
    (I was gonna say, "the bitter frozen tears of a former Rinker owner" but that would be mean!) -  :D Just Kidding Handy!
    Lot's of R.V.'s around too. Lot's of them only get used in the summer, and some just haven't headed south yet.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One mans trash is another's mans treasure. It's called Sunday shopping mans stile
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    rkinrossrkinross Member Posts: 176 ✭✭
    There are lots of boat graveyards in Pittsburgh.  People just quit paying their bills and leave the boat sit and rot.  The yard owner can't sell the boat because our laws prevent them from taking ownership.  The state wants them to pay all the taxes and license fees after going thru a 60 day process to acquire the title.  There are even boats submerged in marinas that haven't been moved in months. 
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rkinross said:
    There are lots of boat graveyards in Pittsburgh.  People just quit paying their bills and leave the boat sit and rot.  The yard owner can't sell the boat because our laws prevent them from taking ownership.  The state wants them to pay all the taxes and license fees after going thru a 60 day process to acquire the title.  There are even boats submerged in marinas that haven't been moved in months. 
    There are a lot of boats in Pittsburgh that never leave their slips in the summer. The slipmate of mine never moved his boat the entire summer except to drop her in and then pull her.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    do they use the boat as a weekend cabin retreat ? but just never go out? There are a lot of houseboats in Kentucky like that. They come on weekend's clean, shine, take good care of it but never go. 
    I'm surprised The state or city does not want the mess cleaned up. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    I learned when I was managing our marina:  some people just like owning a boat. 

It's a state-of-mind thing.  As long as they own a boat, they feel like they could pick up at any moment and sail the seven seas.  

On my dock, there's a sailboat that has only moved once in 20 years.  That was 2003, when a flood picked her up and set her on top of the pier.  These days, the ageing owner couldn't sail her if he tried.  But will he sell?  No way -- he's a boater.  
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sick people LOL
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    At our club there are a few boats that come from storage, dock and then go back end of season. Weekend getaway I guess, I use ours.

One thing I like about our club is no storage so therefore no graveyard. A sister club nearby we went to for an event revealed after a walk around the property many abandoned units basically sitting there doing nothing.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    randy56 said:
    do they use the boat as a weekend cabin retreat ? but just never go out? There are a lot of houseboats in Kentucky like that. They come on weekend's clean, shine, take good care of it but never go. 
    I'm surprised The state or city does not want the mess cleaned up. 
    They are all sitting on private property, so the city/township/boro really can't do anything about it. The marina where I dock at just changed hands and the new owner is getting rid of all of the junk boats.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!